Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Mar 1996 00:45:17 -0500
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Syncro Transmissions

In a message dated 96-03-09 23:56:05 EST, eric.zeno@mail.industry.net (Eric Zeno) writes:

> > This week I was sick as a dog so I had lot's of time to think > up Questions for the Vanagon Syncro Gurus. OK .. out of all the > Syncros I've seen (that's not many here in pgh., about 15) more > than half have had the transmission replaced or repaired. Anyone > have some reason for these failures? I am planing on using my Syncro > for some real work: dragging junk car out of the woods, removing > tree stumps, some towing of stuck cars. Am I looking for > trouble?? TO all who have a Syncro- did your trans. require work?? > >

Syncro transmissions fail frequently because they are under a lot of stress. In addition, some of the gears run at very high speeds which causes alot of wear on the bearings. Especially the low forward and reverse gears(creeper or cross country). The ring and pinion assemblies get alot of stress as the front and rear wheels are allways fighting each other with only viscous coupling keeping the "Windage" under control. Common failures include the following:

Ring and pinion Pinion Bearing 3/4 slider hub cracking and breaking(poor design, repalcements improved) cross country housing failing and blowing up(bring a lot of money) Input shaft main bearing.

Many of these failuers i've seen are lubricant related. Gear oil either leaked out, or was cooked out due to excessive the excessive load and heat these units see. Secret to long life is maintenance. Maintain proper oil level and use best oil you can find, and change it often.

As for doing work! The syncro vanagon excels as a people mover or camping vehicle that nothing else compares with. It is not designed to pull stumps and drag cars out of the woods. Even the chasis will not hold up to this abuse. As these vehicles are no longer available and there is nothing else in it's class, I feel that abusinsing them in this way is a pathetic act. You should sell it to someone that will appreciate it and buy a rundown jeep, blazer, or subarbun to do your dirty work. These things will do that work with liitle trouble and no one will care when it is destroyed. You will also save a lot of money on repairs. The Syncro Vanagon is an excelent vehicle when used and maintained as designed. When mistreated, it will become a piece of junk real quick and you will hold a grudge against the breed forever. Just my 2 cents. Trying to keep the breed around forever. Dennis.