Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Mar 1996 19:08:05 -0500
From:         "David Easterwood" <deasterw@st6000.sct.edu>
Subject:      Memphis or Bust...

My mission was to deliver a 1968 Westfalia I had sold to Ken in Memphis.

background...

I had bought the bus last summer for a cross country trip to Colorado with my father. As much as I love the splitty buses, I will be the first to admit the baywindows are better suited for long distance driving (Man, I miss my '77 Chrome Yellow Westy. The girl I sold it to sent me pictures of her with it at Crested Butte(sp?) over Christmas.).

My dad wasn't the best father in the world. Left us when I was two. Though I may have very little respect for him as a father, he is a good guy and a pretty good friend. He realizes it was a mistake now, and life is too short for me to carry grudges. I wish my sister felt the same way.

We were going to go elk hunting in the Durango/Cortez area (at least he was going to hunt... I was going to photograph/hike. I haven't killed anything in years.). Late in the summer, he had an accident, hurting his back. Maybe we'll get another chance. So now I had a '68 Westy I had bought solely for the trip and the trip was off.

Being mostly a Split Screen bus lover I didn't know what to do with the bus. I thought I might want to keep it, so I bought a used 1600 dual port from a friend's roomate. Engine had only a few thousand miles on a rebuild when he got hit by someone. The '69 bus it was in was totalled, but he kept the engine since he thought he would be getting another bus. He kept it in the basement of his house for a couple of years. He'd partially dissassembled the engine to sell the heads to another friend, but backed out on the deal. He told me that he would take $420 for the whole engine.

I loaded up my tools and bench test equipment in my '59 single cab and went over to his house. I re-assembled the engine, and hooked it up to the bench test stuff. After changing the oil, adjusting the valves, setting the timing, and priming the fuel pump and carb it was time to start it up. Cranked on the third try. Let it warm up a little and then checked the compression. It was pretty even, from 132-136psi. I gave him $420 and he helped me load it in the back of my truck.

I got home and installed the engine in the '68. Didn't do a "proper" job, as it needed part of the engine seal replaced and I didn't hook up the heater box cables. I just needed to get the engine in it so I could drive it to one of the places I store my vehicles (I only have space in the yard for 6 or 7 buses, and I prefer to keep as many splits at home as possible!).

Fast Forward Six Months

After Christmas I realized that the '68 Westy and a '66 Hardtop Deluxe were not buses I needed/wanted and decided to sell them. The '66 went quickly as it was a pretty straight & solid bus (not to mention I priced it too low, but the guy was in the local bus club...). I offered the '68 Westy up to the list and almost immediately got an inquiry from Ken in Memphis. I sent Ken some pictures and he in turn sent $100 earnest money. A deal was struck.

The next step was finding a way to get the bus to Memphis. It just so happened that I was supposed to be going through Memphis on my way to Little Rock to pick up a '56 23-window with a friend within a couple of weeks. My plan was to deliver the '68 Westy then.

The first attempt to go after the '56 was the weekend of the "Blizzard of '96". The postponed trip which I was to deliver the '68 on was met by the "Blizzard of '96, Part II". So we set up another attempt, this time shot down by the seller of the '56 having a death in the family.

Ken wanted his bus, I needed my money, so I decided to drive the bus to Memphis and fly back last weekend. I drove the bus to work on Thursday. I had not driven it since I had replaced the steering column and rekeyed the ignition switch to match the door locks. Somehow I had shorted out the line to the coil & it wouldn't start. So I went in the house and got two 3' lengths of wire and hot-wired it (if you don't know how to hotwire one, I'm not going to tell you).

That day the bus seemed a bit underpowered and didn't want to idle right. When I got home, I changed the oil and cranked it back up. It still didn't want to idle right so I shut it down. I looked in the engine compartment and noticed there was no gas in the fuel filter.

Hmmm... Go to the oil bucket and sure enough, the oil I had drained smelled of gas. Bad fuel pump. Upon closer inspection I noticed not only was the fuel pump bad, it was the wrong kind. Engines with alternators have a shorter fuel pump that angle. So I go to FLAPS to get a proper fuel pump and pump rod (the rod is shorter, too). He has the pump, but not the rod. After going to the third FLAPS I finally get home with the pump & rod. Spend Thursday night changing the fuel pump (did I mention things were getting cold down here in the south? The temp was in the 20's as I was doing this).

Friday morning was cold. I look outside & the ground was covered with snow. I knew it would snow, because this was the day to drive to Memphis. I change the plugs, adjust valves and points, then go on in to work. I hoped to get off work at 3 to leave for Memphis, but had to work until 4.

I wanted to got to Memphis via a southern route due to the weather (not to mention the hills between Chattanooga and Nashville. A friend of mine lost 4th gear on the long climb up to Monteagle (sp?) a couple of years ago on our way to Buses by the Arch). This meant going small highways, which is fine by me, except you have to stop in a lot of small towns.

This proved to be a blessing as I was going through No-wheresville, AL. As I was driving along I caught a glimpse of a split crewcab beside someone's house. Turned around to talk to the owner and 30 minutes later it belongs to me. The PO insisted it was a '61 even after I explained to him that the 12 12 1 on the vin plate meant it was produced December 12, 1961. I pointed out the '62 features like the fish-eye front turn signals and the '62-71 rear lights, but he would not be swayed (except for the swaying he was doing as he was trying to stand. He was drunk as a skunk. Said it was his birthday...).

Onward to Memphis

After dark I stopped to get gas. It was cold. The high Friday was somewhere in the 30's and it was already back into the 20's. About an hour after dark, I took my foot off the accellerator and the bus didn't slow down.

Hmmm... that's odd... I don't remember this bus having cruise control. I turn on the light and see the pedal is bent over to the right. I reach down to straighten it and it comes off in my hand. This is not good. I pull over. The pin on the left side of the pedal had snapped off the floor. Here I am in the middle of No-where, AL (actually a couple of hours west of No-wheresville, AL) with no accellerator pedal.

The accellerator pedal is an amazing piece of simple engineering. With the pedal in proper working order, with it's fixed hinge, there is only one direction the acellerator rod can move to function with the pivot and accellerator cable. Take away the fixed hinge of the pedal and all hell breaks loose. Without that fixed hinge in the equation, the rod can in addition to up and down, move fore to aft, side to side, and any combination of the above.

I manage to finally get the hang of it and continue on (with over 200 miles left to go). If you want to have some fun, take your pedal off and try it... go on... I dare you...

My original plan was to drive straight through 10 hours after a 6 hour workday and sleep in Ken's driveway. Yeah, rriigghhtt... At 11pm the temp was about 12 degrees and I had enough. I decided to splurge and get a room with a warm bed in Tupelo. Unplanned expense, but I was freezing my ass off!

The next morning I go out to the bus, and it won't start. Too damn cold and the battery may have a dead cell. I have to push start it. By myself. Pushing it back out of the parking space I push in part of the nose of the bus (hope it pops back out).

Back on the road and 2 hours later arrive in Memphis at Ken's house. His family comes out to give it the once over twice. His two girls love it and climb up into the cot in the poptop. They were ready to go camping, but Ken explained it might be a *little* cold for that.

It was between 10:30 and 11:00 and we had a few things to fix before my plane left at 3:00pm.

First: accellerator pedal Go to hardware store to get hinge. Go to Muffler shop & try to explain to "Goober" we need part of the hinge cut off and then welded into bottom of accellerator pedal, keeping the same geometry of the original pivot. After about the third time he finally gets it. Says it will take at least 30 minutes so we run across the street to get lunch. We come back, it's done and I ask how much. "Goober" wants to play games. "How much is it worth to you?" I said I don't care, how much?, and he says $10. I pay him and we leave.

Next: change ignition switch It was after 1pm now and it was a race against time. We pulled the steering wheel and I began unwiring the turn signal. After I finished that, I pulled the outer steering column. I got the replacement steering column and began threading the turn signal wires through it. Put the column in and began wiring everything back up. The only electrical that was not working before this was the front emergency lights, and I figured that out when I was putting it back together. We test the signals and everything works but the right rear.

Next I had to replace the wire from the ignition switch back to the coil. Threaded the wire from back to front through the frame and made the connections at front & back. Turn switch and power works but no starter. I remember taking the switch wire off the starter when I hot-wired it and crawl under the bus to reattach it. Turn the key again and starter turns right over.

It's after 2:30 and my flight leaves at 3:10. I ask Ken if he can put the headlight and emergency flasher switches back in as well as reattach the steering column to the dash. He says yes and we make a mad dash for Memphis International. We arrive at 3:10. I am held up at the metal detector and they get the wand out. Next time I've got to bring other shoes. Steel toe work boots set it off every time.

Thankfully there was a flight delay and I did make my flight.

There are still a few wrinkles Ken & I have to work out, but I think all in all this was a good transaction and proof that the list is beneficial in these kind of deals.

Turns out I will be going next week to pick up the '56 & Ken & I will complete our business together then.

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------------------- * 59 DD Panel, 59 Single Cab Dave Easterwood * * 60, 66 & 69 Westfalias, (2)62 Crew Cabs deasterw@st6000.sct.edu * * 65 Kombi, 65 Sundial Camper deasterw@mindspring.com * * (58-61?) Hardtop Deluxe Bus 61 Deluxe Beetle * * 62 Hardtop Deluxe Bus 64 Type 34 Karmann Ghia * * 63 & 64 21 Window Deluxes 74 Thing * -----------------------------------------------------------------------