Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 1996 22:57:56 +0000
From:         Charlie Callahan <charliec42@ilinkgn.net>
Subject:      "Shakey State'd" Engine De-gunking

A basic question about engine cleaning:

As me '85 is making the death knell noises (Rings, bearings possible) And I don't want to kill it, I am doing slow surgery on it. Working on the outside and taking as much off as rational w/o pulling the engine.. Anyways, my happy discovery on pulling the valve cover is a sludge pit that makes a mess of its own as I carve out sloshes of this crap by hand and toxic fingernail.. the dreaded quacker state syndrome. Ugh! I contrast this to that $50 bug with the textbook clean head.. I figure this thing's been running it's own valve timing for awhile, depending on accumilation of this stuff in there.. I saw one small,tiny trickle of fresh oil amid this sludge.. So: given this telltale sign, Should I expect: that this sludge is everywhere in the engine (oil ports) likely clogging that convenient oil screen, I heard.. and just about everything, or does it accumilate especailly here? What's a safe solvent to try and at least soften this gunk as I progress inwards? I've heard kerosene in the oil, I'm not too keen on that; what I have been doing is wd-40'ing the general area of sludge and scooping..

..and try to ignore my neighbor down the street driving the syncro I could have got for $1200 more.. At least he's still going.. :) or the other extreme, the '79 bus that was rust-free but needed fresh mechanicals-$300. Those were my choices, but I got this. Same day I get the formal title, the motor goes terminal klacky.. oh well, it was a fun 500 miles.. :) ..a bit of an effort to get to the next 500.. :(

Another q: I have a few holes in the floor of me aircooled; I have fixed the leaks that caused the holes :) but still have the holes. Will my two-sided duck tape fix (one on top, one below) be adequate until I can fix it right (months, years(?)), or am I creating a potential moisture-trapped duck-tape sized rust farm?

Making time the best I can wind,

Charlie "air-fooled" Callahan

P.S. Folks buggering about vw's new engine choices: On http://www.beetle.de/E/Facts.htm the nifty new beetle web site, " At customer request, it is conceivable that other engine transmission units could be fitted. "

There's a dangerous idea...