Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 21 Apr 96 16:34:17 EDT
From:   Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:   bug-out 34

Hey all, I just returned from the Bug-Out in the hick town of Dinwiddie, Virginia. It turned out to be a pretty cool show.

My girlfriend and I hopped in my '78 this morning and drove out to the rendezvous point to meet Erik Burtis and his '71. We showed off our buses to each other and then waited for the northern Virginia contingent to arrive. We got word that they wanted us to meet them on the highway, so we went to 95 and waited on the shoulder. The caravan came and pulled over so that Erik and I could receive our flags which were put on our antennae. We then proceeded to caravan to Dinwiddie. The caravan had about 20 cars including my bus and Erik's bus. Also there was a really nice '76 bus. I was impressed. Mostly the caravan consisted of bugs with one Karmann Ghia and one type III squareback panel wagon. In front of me was a BEAUTIFUL 1968 VW bug convertible. I was drooling all the way down.

We initially got off at the wrong exit at which point the type III began having mechanical problems. Don't know what exactly was wrong but he eventually got back on the road.

We then proceeded to continue to the right exit and eventually got to the speedway. The show was pretty nice, lots of nice bugs and some not so nice lowered chrome-engined bugs (yuck), three really nice Things, quite a few buses, some nice some lowered and turned into crap, a couple split-window single cabs (one of which was for sale for $4200 -- looked really nice) and one bay window double cab. Lotsa watercooled VWs, but I didn't go there :) . I didn't see any Karmann Ghias that were being shown. There were more in the parking lot than in the show. There was one EuroVan with a Caravelle badge on the rear, so I assume it was imported from somewhere.

Lots of stuff for sale, including some really cool original VW print ads and I saw some new owner's manuals for '73 buses, a '77 bus, a '79 bus and the camper supplement for an '80 Vanagon. Of course, also lots of junk for sale :) .

A good time was had by all -- I got lots of pictures so if I can get access to a scanner maybe I'll be able to get some up on my web page.

See ya, Sean