Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Apr 96 8:39:05 PDT
From:         Brian M. Miller <miller@spk.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: Oil Press. Sender location

Aaron Wood wrote, with respect to mounting an oil pressure sender on his engine,

"....So on to plan B, I went to the harware store and bought a two inch piece of brass pipe and a brass "T", all having 1/8 in NPT. I screwed the pipe into the existing hole, screwed the "T" onto the pipe(so that there was on horizontal and one vertical hole), screwed the original idiot switch into the top hole and the new sender in the horizontal hole. Everything fit just great.

.......To sum it up it looks like the strangest contraption in the world. The new sender mounted horizontal, the old switch mounted horizontal, and the bleeded valve on top."

Although this solves the problem of attaching the oil pressure sender to the engine, I am not sure it is a wise idea. The sender, T and associated components represent a substantial mass; all of which is hung out 2 or more inches off the end of that brass pipe. The "contraption" is a pendulum fastened to your engine. Engine vibrations will be magnified at the end of the lever arm (the 2" pipe) and will tend to shake things loose. If anything gets the slightest bit loose it will start pounding the hole (into which it is installed) and damage the threads (although it will probably leak objectionally before the threads are damaged too much). All in all, it seems like a risky mechanical design. But I'm not an expert, so I'd appreciate comments from others on this since I am facing the same problem; how to add an oil pressure sender without having to remove the engine!

Brian miller@spk.hp.com '72 Type II '80 Vanagon