Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 7 Apr 96 09:40:23
From:   dace.ecc@argonet.co.uk (David Eccles)
Subject:   Product Review - Proglass Polishing Kit

Last issue of Split Screen Scene (SSVC club mag, UK) carried a new feature on product reviews. Our intrepid tester tried the Proglass polishing Kit and The Windscreen repair Kit; both are US products imported here by the Eastwood Company..and freely given to our impartial tester. The polishing kit consists of polishing compound (dry) and a hard felt mop mounted on spindle plus instructions. You are told to mix to a slurry..but george (our tester) now thinks that his idea and the Americans idea of slurry must be different..as first time it just ran off the windows! Using the mop on a slow speed drill worked OK as long as the drill was not at right angles to the glass. The big problem was washing off the remaining compound - a bit like washing a paintbrush full of emulsion paint - no matter how much water you use it still takes forever! Best advice is not to do it in situ but when glass is out and thus job can be done in a tray of some kind..this works well..in situ its messy but works okay. Testers verdict - messy but it does work but only for surface haze and ultra fine scratches. Glass does sparkle nicely after and fine scratching disappears. At 28 ponds sterling (42 dollars) its pricey and vinegar and elbow grease do almost as good a job! Also tested was the windscreen repair kit..this involved poor George seeing his windsreen chips turn to cracks! frantic phone calls to Head Office in US revealed if you live in sunny CA its probably OK as you have to leave the resin to harden in the sun...this is England remember! The instructions are also confusing as they are in colloquial American (?!). George's advice here - get another piece of glass and forget this product. Thanks to George Bedwell, Intrepid SSVC tester and technical advisor. I'm off to clean me van windies with vinegar and elbow grease! Dave --

**dace.ecc@argonet.co.uk** Hal 'ECHO' Eccles - WFRP, X-files, etc... '72 1303S Ragtop David (bill payer)Eccles - SSVC, Volkswagens etc '67 Split; '72 Bug