Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Apr 1996 22:51:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:         David Schwarze <ddes@zeus.anet-dfw.com>
Subject:      Re: Oil temps

Remuse@aol.com writes: > > I put the 81 camper on the road just for an hour at 55 to 65 mph in cool damp > weather and reasonably level terrain. After 15 minutes the temperature > settled in just slightly under 250 and the pressure about 20. When we exited > for the two lane the idiot light would come on as the pressure dipped below > 10 at each stop. Put it in neutral with a blip to the gas and the light would > go out. Driving slower didn't have any discernible effect on the temp. It was > as though it had built up heat and just couldn't shed it.

One thing to check is that your oil pressure gauge is getting full voltage. Mine goes down 8 psi when I turn on the headlights. One of these days I'm gonna install a monster cable from the battery to the dash. If your oil pressure is above 25psi, you probably don't have to worry. From what I understand, there is a pressure relief valve that vents pressure in excess of 28 psi near the crank journals. 20, if your gauge is accurate, is indicative (sp?) of a problem. Is your timing set correctly? Correct heat range spark plugs? Thermostat operating correctly? What kind of oil filter are you using? I have noticed that different brands of filters affect indicated oil pressure. I don't think you should be using a FRAM filter, as they lack some sort of bypass valve that is required by your engine. If you do nothing else, set your idle up a little bit so that you have some oil pressure at stoplights. 20 psi combined with 250 degree oil temperature is definately running too hot. One more thing you can do: Check your compression, especially if you don't know the history of your engine. You're not only looking for low compression, but HIGH compression as well. If it's over 120 in any cylinder it's possible you have a high- compression engine, or that there is a ton of carbon built up on top of the piston. This could well cause you to overheat. I'm a believer in low compression air-cooled VW engines, even though I don't know what my compression is cause I didn't cc my heads (<--Deliberate attempt to get Bob Hoover's goat :-))

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) Dallas, Texas, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: ddes@anet-dfw.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (13.986@100.81) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================