Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Apr 1996 18:24:18 -0400
From:         tforhan@usa.pipeline.com (Tom Forhan)
Subject:      RE: DC area split window bus--free! (long)

With the generous help of Derek Drew's sister, my wife and I went to look at the bus. I took pictures, because I really think I have a candidate for Thom's Hall of Shame.

The facts:

It is not a barndoor :-( There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Plate behind right seat:

0 - 5: (somehow, the build date?)

426: (unknown to me) 025: lap belt anchors 114: 6 pop-out windows

UN 2213 421781 1308189: Station Wagon (eight or nine seater, with the full width front seat), left hand drive, Blue White over Turquoise, Como green interior.

Last licensed in 1978.

Opinion:

I don't have sequential build information, and though I took down the numbers from behind the seat and the overhead vent box (22-1308189), I did not know to also look for a nine digit chassis number per Joel's model year and VIN pages, and so I am not sure of the year. It does have the square key locking gas cap AND the push button rear gate (wide, of course) , so I believe it is a 1966.

Body is grim, between the rust and the dents. Dented nose and also left side amidships. The bus is on flat tires in a depression in the ground, so it is difficult to get underneath. Rusted floors, totally toasted rockers and jackpoints, transverse support beams some gone in some places, going in the rest, extensive rot at bottoms of all doors, door hinges heavily rusted, they all seem sprung which probably relates to the hinge condition. Original paint.

Interior is very heavily mildewed, and the middle seat is missing.

Drive train is all there, and it does not appear that any parts have been removed from the bus.

Conclusion: This is a parts vehicle.

Outlook:

This is an estate sale situation, with a relatively large piece of real estate in an urban area being desposed of by a group of siblings. There are numerous other vehicle hulks lying around the property, and the family is talking to a scrap metal dealer about removing all the cars before putting the property on the market.

I suggested to the executor that the VW bus was a goner, but that recycling parts would be a better use than just going to a crusher. She seemed receptive to this idea, and said she would talk to her sibs and get back to me in a day or two.

And I hope in that day or two I can get my thoughts about this bus together, too! As you may know from my postings, I cannot just have this thing towed to my driveway, or the wreck police will get me. Maybe I could rent a garage for a month or two. I'm not sure whether this is an opportunity (har-har), obligation, or just a situation.

Your ideas, denizens of the list?

Tom F. tforhan@usa.pipeline.com

90 Syncro Westie (and a basement already full of bus parts)