Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Apr 1996 11:34:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:         Darie Duclos <darie@tell.ascom.ch>
Subject:      SUMMARY: '86 vanagon choke problem?

Hmm.. It was pointed out to me (thanks Tim) that my engine is fuel injection, so you can ignore the bit about the choke in the subject line. :-}

> Battery light stays on > Have to give the gas pedal a kick to turn it off

I was told that this was normal. The best explanation seemed to be:

>> 1.) It is normal for the battery light to be on after start up if your >> engine's RPM is not high enough. It is because the Bosch alternator unit >> needed to rev. pass 1200rpm (I think) to kick in.

So now I don't kick the rpm's up to turn off the battery light, it just goes off once I start driving.

> When I do this, it comes off the choke (apparently) and > if any light inside are on, they get brighter

The explanation for this was:

>> yup. cause now the alternator IS producing voltage (for the inside lights).

> It does not get back on the choke if I rev it higher > If it stalls it gets more and more difficult to start

I don't really have an explanation for this. But the weather has gotten better here, and I'm not really having the problem anymore.. Go figure.

> Car stalls or is difficult to keep alive > It it doesn't stall right away, it is very difficult > to get it moving as I have to keep revving the engine > to keep it alive. On an uphill it's quasi-impossible, > I'm afraid to ruin the clutch I fixed recently.

:-} I think I have the explanation for this. See my other summary about the front brakes. Basically, I think that the front brakes were staying stuck which would explain why it was hard to get the car going....... Argh!

Thanks again for all the help!

Darie '86 Westfalia