Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:43:43 -0700
From:         mwest@cdsnet.net (Mike West)
Subject:      Re: Stroking a type 4

>>At 11:29 AM 4/15/96 -0500, you wrote: >>>In a message dated 96-04-15 01:04:04 EDT, mwest@cdsnet.net (Mike West) >>>writes: >>> >>>>I'll have to fab and weld back in. >>>> My plan is to get as much low end torque as I possibly can, so we're >>>>talking stroke here right? How much can you do one of these lovelies? >>> >>>Find the pieces or buy a 2 liter engine. It will give more torque and power >>>without expensive modifications. If mor is needed, go the corvair option. >>>Dennis. >> >>I had a 140hp corvair engine in my buggy, ran great (when it ran) >>I think finding someone to work on corvairs is even harder than >>finding someone to work on VWs. Corvairs have some of the same >>problems that VWs have, and even more, so I wouldn't throw in >>the towel on the type IV yet. I think Dennis was right about >>the 2.0 engine, just trying to find one is going to be tough >>because these are the ones the type IV hot rodders want to use. >>Different rods, crank and heads than the 1.7 and 1.8. >> >>See ya >>Scott Morrow

Me again, I will try to elucidate if I can spell it. The engine is already stripped to parts and case open, the half I can see anyway. I hope to salvage the case but the crank is at best an exchange for my super whupem counter-balanced and long strokin replacement. I will use the stock flywheel or heavier. I assumed I would put either the stock piston/cyl or a size larger. I don't want to go a hundred mile per hour, I want to go to the top of my 10% drive way with a 6000 lb load. BTW how steep is 10% in real money? I have visions of having a single Weber progressive on top for air or maybe the 2 liter fuel injection setup. I got both. What is this data about all those parts being different? My neighbor has a dune buggy with a type 4 punched out to some monsterous number which he doesn't even know. I'm asking can't you take a 1700 and make a 2500 or so out of it? The 1700 heads are all I can safely say are good. Is it not possible to punch them out a few more millimeters. I have no idea what is even available. I can probably buy a 2 liter for less than I will spend on this one in the box and I may even throw a 1700 type 1 in while I build the one in the box. Just talked to neighbor again, he says he had the stock cylinders bored out 0.104" oversize and has no idea what pistons they used. I shall have to check with the shop that built the thing for him. c'mon back now west