Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Apr 1996 17:30:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      V6anagon un-V6'ed

Well, I got the engine out of the V6anagon to find out why the clutch pedal seemed to be connected to some other car. Ominous notes: with the bolts out and the engine on a sling, trans on blocks, the engine and trans did not want to leave each other. A couple calls to Kennedy Engineered Products (KEP) where I spoke to none other than Hobart Kennedy, who was there both Saturday and Sunday doing his taxes (the American Way!). A pleasant, knowledgeable, matter-of-fact fellow.

He suggested pushing in the clutch pedal with the trans-to-adapter bolts removed, as a means of persuading the clutch to let go of a (possibly warped or broken) clutch plate while simultaneously pushing the engine and tranny apart. A clever suggestion, which I had completely missed, and it worked like a charm, for about half an inch. Started shimming the clutch slave cylinder piston for more extension until the eng and trans were about 1-1/2" apart, then ran out of throwout bearing travel. Gritted teeth, started prying them the rest of the way with the floor- jack handle (blocking each side with appropriately-sized sockets), until finally PIIINNNGGGG... and they parted company.

Knew that would physically break whatever was holding on in there, but what the hey, it's broken anyway. "It" turned out to be the spring- center clutch disc. As I rotated the engine to get to the clutch bolts, kept hearing this musical jingling sound, which I've *never* heard from in or near an engine compartment.

Unbolted the clutch, and a bunch of small, thick, and very twisted springs fell out, along with sundry metal pieces. Found the center of the clutch plate torn completely out of the disc. with the heavier 1/8" thick spring-center retainer in about four pieces. I have a hunch it was mostly like that after it developed a bad attitude in San Jose, and started eating its little springs at that point. Enough remained that I was able to limp back to San Diego (450 miles). I completed the breakage when I pried the engine and tranny apart.

This looks remarkably like the broken clutch piece the PO showed me in Missouri, after he put in the new clutch I sent him and I arrived to buy it. I sense a pattern here...

More to come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon w/Chevy 2800 '66 Mustang Coupevertible, for sale

Check out the cars at http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

*** It takes all kinds to make this world. That's why we aren't all Irish. *** ---------------------------------------------------------------------