Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Apr 96 21:55:30 EDT
From:         jms@ludwig.att.com (538531000-Sharpe)
Subject:      removing westfalia letters or in praise of WD40

Vanagonians,

It's said to report, but my Westy is nolonger readily identified by the masses, I've removed the Westfalia letters from the pop-top. The rear ones were pealing off and weren't looking too good, so I peeled them off. At first I tried to heat the remaining glue with a heat gun, but was afraid of damaging the fiberglass, so I started to use denatured alcohol. This kind of worked but some glue was still left behind. So I went to remove the letters off the front of the van by peeling them off. This didn't work, so I used the heat gun to loosen up the glue and pushed the letters off with a paint scraper. This left a lot of glue behind, so I tried the alcohol again but there was too much glue for the alcohol to work. It was at this point that I remember someone from the list recommending using WD40 to loosen up glue when removing stickers off windows. So I sprayed some of the glue with the WD40 and sure enough it started to come off. I then soaked a rag with the WD40 and the rest came off.

I used some rubbing compound all around the sides of the pop-top followed by a wax. This deep cleaned the pop-top and gave it a nice shine, also there is no trace of the letters. Next time I'll have to do the rest of the top. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- John Sharpe jms@ludwig.att.com '86 Westy/Weekender - getting a new engine this week!!! Allentown, PA -------------------------------------------------------------------------------