Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:28:46 -1000 (HST)
From:         Jack F Bradley <bugman@lava.net>
Subject:      weber carburetor

I hate to sound like a newbie or anything, but I was wonderin if anyone could help me. I have a Weber progressive (32/36) carb attached to my 1600 d/p in my bus. Now, I've owned this type of carb before and found that they have done very well for me, so I would like to stick with this one. The problem I am having with it is this: It seems that regardless of how much I adjust the thing, the exhaust smells something terrible. Burnt gas smell.. Just like exhaust, but a WHOLE lot stronger. The thing does not smoke at all, never has, so I am assuming that it is not running toooo rich. It has the stock jets still in it, made for a 1600 or so. I'd have to take it back apart to see what the jets are. I also have a monza 4 tip exhaust hooked up to it. (if that makes any difference) What am I missing? And am I adjusting the thing the way it should be adjusted? the screw in the front (between the carb and the fan shroud) (front=back, right? :) Should it spin out to make the gas leaner or in to make it leaner? I could really use some help on this one. If anyone has a clue I would really appreciate it tons..

Thanks a bunch,

Jack Bradley

`71 Baja `70 Bus