Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 02 Apr 96 14:12:35 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: spark plugs and fuel economy ???

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996 14:07:35 -0600 A Brandon Smith said: > So I heard someone talking on the VW list about one type of >spark plug giving "better fuel economy" (better MPG) than another type >of spark plug. I don't understand how this possible? Is it? And if >it is, would someone please explain to me how that works?

well, i don't KNOW that it's possible or true, but here's what i have experienced: - since i put Bosch triple-prong plugs (into my 88 vanagon), my anal-retentive recordkeeping :) has shown my AVERAGE fuel economy (over 108,000 miles) rise from 19.4 mpg to 19.8 mpg (over 38,000 miles). and i have done NOTHING else that could possible have affected the mpg. i'm using the same brands of gasoline, oil, filters, etc. and that's over all seasons of the year.

- my brother, the ex-mechanic, swears by the Platinum plugs. says he gets better mileage with them. eh? but that's what he says.

so WHY? well, "they" tell me that the Platinum plugs don't "round off" as quickly as the old metal/material plugs. that is, the square little tip stays square longer. ok, well, i do remember something in physics or electricity 101 (or some other class that i slept through) about sharp edges generating electric arcing. so that sounds like it might be true. and if they stay sharp/square longer, then the arc/spark is like new for a longer time.

and the triple-prong plugs supposedly have 1/3 the opportunity to round off (cause there is three times the prongs to arc/spark from). so they stay square/sharp longer.

now ... i don't KNOW that this has anything to do with anything. but i DO know that old worn plugs or fouled plugs WILL cause your car to run badly AND will DEcrease your fuel economy. and the more they get worn/fouled, the worse your fuel economy will become.

and the thing is that it is harder to "prove" that something made a positive change than it is to prove that something makes a negative change. or so it seems to me, anyway. especially if any change that is produced is very small and noticeable only over a long time. i mean, gee whiz, i get a WHOLE 0.4 mpg better mileage!!! :) and those plugs cost twice as much (but it looks like i can leave them in three times longer). well, big deal. maybe it's just the better quality of modern plugs altogether. i mean, things HAVE changed a little bit in 26 years of buses. ;)

so i think it might be more the case of the snake oil: that regular changes make a lot bigger difference than any one brand. like changing the engine oil (and filter if you have one) every 2500-3000 miles and using a good quality name brand ... versus Slick 50.

them's my experiences and opinions, which have no guaranteed relationship to anything in real life. :)

joel