Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         16 Apr 96 21:37:03 EDT
From:         "William A. McKinley" <75112.2101@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      Re: bus stuff

Glen, No, I didn't have to drop the engine on my '72, but I did have to remove the dual Dellortos. Good reason to have the hose you need in hand before starting the project, or an alternate source of transportation to the store. However, with your '77, if it's still fuel injected, I don't know if you'll have to remove much. You definetly won't have to drop the engine, tho. Open the hood, squat down and look directly foreward in the engine compartment. The galvanized (if it hasn't been painted) panel that runs across the front of the engine comp. is about 20"x35" and it's held in place by a dozen or so Phillips head sheet metal screws. Comes right off. Access to the hose is clear, no need to remove the tank. The hose I'm speaking of is the more likely of the two (the other being the filler neck hose) to cause the gas smell. Number one, it is a much less substantial hose than the filler, and two, it is right at the top of the tank, much closer to the gas level than the filler neck. You'd have to be humpin' pretty hard on the fold out bed to slosh gas all the way up the filler tube to the big hose by the gas cap. The hose on top of the gas tank, OTOH, will splurt gas all over the top of the tank any time you top off the tank (the fuel going up the filler tube when you use the auto shut off on the gas pump handle is higher than the small hose on the top of the tank, thereby forcing gas out the holey (no references to diety ;-) hose until the fill tube is once again empty. Good luck, Amigo!

Andy McKinley 75112.2101@compuserve.com '72 Westy, looking for a Thing to buy

"...the car itself was still full of bugs." -Heinz Nordhoff, 1948, rebuilding the VW after the war.