Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:31:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:         "H. Steven Dolan" <dworkin@mtolympus.ari.net>
Subject:      Breadloaf Rear Wiring Harness replacement procedure (long)

John,

I just did a wiring harness swap as part of the engine swap I have been reporting. It was very easy, took about 2 hours. Following is the procedure for your use if you decide to do it.

Rear Wiring Harness Replacement Procedure

The tools you need are screwdriver, needle-nose pliers, string, tape, *BENTLEY MANUAL*, and VOM.

Start at the front, under the dash.

Unplugging at the front, you will wind up with one 8-gang plug and 5-6 loose wires. Draw yourself a diagram of the position of the wires in the plug and remove the wires from the plastic. I found that I could slide a small flat-blade screwdriver in from the front and release the retainer on each spade and withdraw it easily. Tape all the wires together, add the string to the bundle and start feeding it backward.

Feed it Back to the Starter

There are a series of metal fold-overs that need to be released as you work your way back from the front, over the axle beam to where the harness enters a tube that carries it to the back of the bus. WEAR SAFETY *GOGGLES* under there. The amount of rust/mud that will fall in your face is incredible. Beyond the tube, there are a few more fold-overs over the rear axle, then the fun begins.

Disconnect the starter and Gas Guage

Before you can feed the harness into the engine compartment, there are two branches from the main harness, one (3 Wires) to the starter, a second (one wire) to the fuel guage. The starter is easy, just remove the nut and unclip the wires. The fuel guage is trickier. I had the gas tank out, so I just unplugged it and pulled it thru, but if you don't want to take the fuel tank access panel off, (8 screws {3 on each side of the panel in the engine compartment, one on each side of the tranny from underneath}), I believe there may be enough slack to work an intermediate connector through the grommet and release it there. At that point tape the starter/gas guage branch firmly to the main harness, pointing the free ends toward the rear of the car so it feeds smoothly. The harness can then be pulled through the firewall. Store this monster on the shelf over the engine.

Swap plugs at the back

Lay the new harness behind the vehicle and start swapping plugs. There are 3 major branches on the harness. I did them in the following order:

1) Fan branch runs to the fan at the top of the compartment and one wire to the coil.

2) Light branch runs to the tail lights and licence light.

3) Reverse light branch (plus electric fuel pump and FI power after '74) is a continuation of the light branch that goes back under the car through a hole on the drivers side firewall.

I was careful to match wire color to wire color and had no problem. After you have completed the swap, remove the old harness,

Tie the string to the new harness and work it forward, reconnecting the starter and gas guage as you go.

When you reach the front use the diagram you made at the beginning to rewire the plug, and the bentley wiring diagram to locate the rest of the wires. Two things to note are, first, that while most of the wires go to the fuse block, not all do. The turn signal wire connections are of the block on 3-way connectors hanging loose. Secondly, some of the fuses share a common bus. The Bentley manual shows the main power wire (red/white stripe) connected to the base of fuse 9, but when I got there, there was already a wire on that terminal. close examination showed that the bases of fuses 8 & 9 share a common bus, and the lug at the base of fuse 8 was vacant, but shiny. On it went there and worked fine.

Having typed all this, however, I believe that your problems are probably corrosion related, and that a new harness would be overkill (if you can get a new harness). Try just going over the whole system with a piece of extra fine sandpaper, brighten everything in sight, replace any broken or loose lugs, and I'll bet everything will work just fine.

H Steven Dolan Alexandria, VA