Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:33:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Stefan Ufer <sufer@email.unc.edu>
Subject:      RE: Temp. gage/location of T-sending unit

I had the very same problem installing the temperature sensor for the VDO CHT gauge in the spark plug hole. I "fixed" it the following way: I cut off the metal ring attached to the thermocouple, leaving a small piece of metal around the thermocouple behind, which has the same width like the gap between two cooling fins. I squeezed the whole thing between the two cooling fins closest to the exhaust manifold on top of the cylinder head. Still close to the spark plug hole. I drilled a small hole into the engine tin to get the two wires into the engine compartment. Before, I had the sensor mounted replacing the spark plug washer and the temperature readings now are still the same. BTW I did that for all 4 cylinders. The cables for the 4 CHT sensors run underneath my bus to the front to a double pole/single pull rotary switch mounted right next to the CHT gauge. The switch is connected to one VDO CHT gauge. In such a way I can scan through all 4 cylinders simply by rotating the switch one position. If there is a better way to mount those sensors I definitely would like to hear about it.

Stefan '76 Camper Bulli (LILA) '78 Rabbit Diesel