Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:42:51 -0800
From:         jburns@mail.sdsu.edu (James Burns)
Subject:      RE: Temp. gage/location of T-sending unit

> I squeezed the whole thing between >the two cooling fins closest to the exhaust manifold on top of the >cylinder head. Still close to the spark plug hole.

So, you are measuring the fin root temperature?

>The cables for the 4 CHT sensors run underneath my bus to the front to a >double pole/single pull rotary switch mounted right next to the CHT gauge. >The switch is connected to one VDO CHT gauge. In such a way I can scan >through all 4 cylinders simply by rotating the switch one position.

Sounds nifty! Do you see any remarkable differences in the four readings?

Maybe you or others could clear up a nagging question or two:

Does this low thermocouple voltage work with all the VDO temp gauges or just the CHT models. I inherited two VDO temp gauges from a PO and haven't fiddled with them yet. Also in the box was a pin-type temp sensor for the oil temp. Seems the Right Reverend Hoover was opposed to oil temp readings from a tee at the idiot light hole. What'sthe (easy...) alternative?

I seem to recall some edict about using only thermocouple wire to run all the way to the gauges. Something about the new dissimilar metal distorting the readings?

Any clarifications are appreciated!

Regards,

Jim