Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:27:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      V6anagon soon to be re-V6'ed

Well, would you believe I get a new clutch (parts) under warranty? Love those dudes at World Parts Depot, 4990 Naples St., San Diego, to death!!!

A list member yesterday made a very interesting observation. Mentioned that he had done lots of clutch work on a variety of VWs, a few of which had adapters. On one of these, the problem turned out to be an incorrect or mis-positioned engine mount, that was maybe 2" higher than it should have been (if I've got this right).

Makes me wonder about the V6anagon's mounts. It has two-- the front (FIF) tranny mount, which is stock; and a fabricated rear one that's welded onto the old rear engine hanger bar. Both are flexible rubber mounts, as most cars have. But there's a whole lot of weight suspended between them. I wonder if it's enough to cause slight deformation where the engine and tranny join?

It's raining today, but I still may slide under the van to measure that alignment ridge in the tranny adapter. I'll also have a look at a couple of flanges on the Chevy V6, that look a lot like engine mounts to me. They are right up against the adapter, and would be handy to relieve some of the weight stress on the engine-tranny junction. Fabrication city, of course,but you pays your money and takes your chances.

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon w/Chevy 2800 '66 Mustang Coupevertible

Check out the cars at http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

*** It takes all kinds to make this world. That's why we aren't all Irish. *** ______________________________________________________________________