Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Apr 1996 12:34:40 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Oly, WA ------> SF, CA (long)

We planned to leave Olympia at 4 o clock on Thursday last. Didn't actually leave til 6 and by that time were itching to get out of town, out of the state, away from the insular community in the sog and down to the sun and into the dryness and big city. It was me and Duncan, who was thinking of moving to SF with his SO and kid, and was going to visit his sister in law and be horrified at the comparative cost of living.

stoppedin Salem, Ore to fill up the '66, April (the month of production, i guess she's now 30 and no longer young), the bus was getting 29 mpg, and sounding fine. It was low on oil, so i added a quart. Hmm...... The motor was a bit greasy, and lo and behold the gas pump and gen stand bolts werent tight. It had 3, 500 miles on it, so i suppose it could have shaken loose. Back on the road we had the stereo playing Ani DiFranco and the gas heater going, and felt like we were traveling in style. It was pretty late when we stop at a rest stop, and decide to wait and go over the Siskiyous in the light.

The next morning (Friday) we had gone about ten miles, almost to Grants Pass the bus gives and little shudder, and I cuss. It's running out. Get to the next exit, and as the gas can spout was left behind (duh), we pour gas into a coffe cup, into a paper cup with a hole on the bottom as a makeshift funnel. The fuel filter is fouled with particles of rust from a long sitting tank, so i changed it. Didn't someone mention sticking a magnet to the tank to attract all the rust bits? I'll have to try it. Anyway, the bus was only getting about 16 mpg.

remember thebit in the idiot book where it talks about buying a VW? There is an ad in the paper for a 63 with a gas eater that turns out to be a gas heater? Well, it turned out to be a gas eater after all.

how much does your BN4 eat?

In Grants Pass we fill up and I adjust the points and timing to go over themountains. Saw a little old lady driving a nice looking black oval window beetle with a sunroof. Just as we were going to pull out a white bubble window panel van drove by, so i said, lets follow that bus, which to Duncan's joy, led us directly to the closest espresso stand. Also turned out to be driven by a guy i know from the local swaps, who invited us to his shop to look at his buses. He had just got a lovely 49 beetle with the crankstart, ran with a 25hp motor, and the crash box tranny (I always wanted to drive one). It was original, unrestored, a little tatty, but very nice. The 54 deluxe was sitting, and he had got the sliding sunroof microbus I had seen in Portland a year ago. Gawked and talked for a while, and showed off the rust repair Mike had done to the 66.

Back on the road and over the mountains. It was a lot of third gear. Close to the top, the dry air hit us. YUM . My lips started shapping, and i settled down for to be baked.

In Redding I was horified by gas prices. And i though it was bad in Oly. Back up to 22mpg, but lost more oil. This is really annoying. Tighten more bolts more tightly and wiped the motor.

In the Mount Shasta area we stpped to pick up a hitchhiker. He was going to Hawaii and needed to leave from sf airport. Had a bongo drum in a patchwork corduroy case.

I have never more enjoyed driving through the Central Valley of California. This time it wasn't boring. (!) I 'm no longer used to expanses of flat, treeless land. The hill were slightly green from the spring rains, rooling hills with oak tress, settling down to huge fields.

and junkyards!

so we stopped - found a splitty with a chrome vw symbol and some other bits, and Duncan found the missing bits for his camper.

By the time we got to Fairfield it was getting dark The bus had stopped leaking :) and was getting 23mpg. I planned on adjusting the valves in the morning, and also the trans was not happy.

It made a funny noise when you step on the clutch. Any comments welcomed.

So I called my brother, but I was too late and he had already left work.

Called this guy in Walnut creek, that i was bringing some parts to. Got directions to BART to drop off the hitchhiker , who had put up with D& I's gossip the whole ride down, and then to the shop. ERK!!! I don't like Walnut Creek sorry, but i dont. Culture shock of intersections you are in third gear by the time you are across. I didn't realise how podunk Oly is. These roads are wider than our freeways. Well did the Bart thing , then found his shop.

He buys old splits with nice bodys, sends them off to the paint shop, has motors built, installs new headliners and panel, shines up the shiny bits, and sells them for beaucoup bucks. He like hardtop deluxes to sell to the Japanese. More shiny bits, i guess. I guess im a vintage snob or something, as i wasn't impressed by the repro panels or headliners. But the buses he had done were clean and shiny, original colours. More than i can say for mine. Except i get a kick when someone asks if the 66' headliner's been replaced (no). I felt bad for this guy having to deal with acouple roadburned freaks. I am not at my most coherent after being on the road all day.

Well after midnight when we got to Coralee's in the Ridgemont district. or whatever its called north of GG Park in SF. Real good people, and sleep at last!