Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Apr 1996 14:15:26 -0700
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Gas Prices, portent of things to come?, honeymoon

Bay Area gas prices just went up pretty painfully- I can remember ( :) ) $1.37 for 89 octane, just paid $1.69 last night. NPR story I vaugely remember hearing was that the major oil companies saw no end to the rise in prices but I missed why it was.

Wedding and honeymoon went off without a hitch EXCEPT that Little Martha's clutch cable failed the morning of the wedding and I haven't had a chance to get back to fix it :( Hope this isn't a sign of things to come now that its finally legal and has a license plate and all.

Music at the wedding was performed by one of Martha Rubin's former music students, very well performed too. And my brother and sister-in-law carried the presents home for us in their Vanagon!

Honeymoon in Pacific Grove: Saw many T2 & Vanagons, including a T2 Single Cab painted plastic-watering-can-green and a Splitie Single Cab painted dark brown overall. Looked but didn't see any listmember's stickers. Last time I was at Point Lobos was 1969- its fabulous and I recomend it to anyone passing that way. The new Outer Bay exhibit at the Monetery Bay Aquarium is pretty cool too- two schools of tuna + baracuda, etc, behind a clear wall the size of an aircraft hanger. And many jelly-fish exhibits.

We ate many fabulous meals and spotted a extra place we didn't have time for, so if you're looking for a good meal in Pacfic Grove: Fandango. Very expensive. Worth it. ($60 dinner for 2 + $42 wine) The Fishwife. Moderate prices, excellent food & service. 1/3 seats are reserved and 2/3 open, but the wait can be 1 hour+. El Crocodilo. Moderate prices, neat, central-american influenced food. (same owners as The Fishwife, it turned out)

or Carmel: Cafe Gringo - new-wave Mexican/American, and tasty. Moderate-cheap.

We didn't have a change to eat at La Boheim (sp?), but $21.50 fixed price for the nightly special, and no reservations taken, make it different from the rest. Walked by two nights in a row, having already made other plans, and it smelled WONDERFUL. We'll go back.