Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Apr 96 23:03:13 EDT
From:         jms@ludwig.att.com (538531000-Sharpe)
Subject:      Re: Should it stay or should it go...

Nate and to all those thinking about the long run,

I've done it, I've had a VW/remanufactured engine put into my '86. It's expensive but if you can get a small loan, as I did, I would recommend it. I plan to keep my van for at least ten years to off set the cost which was $4700, DOO!!! This was about $1000 over the initial estimate. The cost was driven up because I needed both the front and rear exhaust pipes as well as the junction/manifold that that they bolt into. The engine was only $2475, but the labor $750, taxes $260, clutch, water pump, exhaust pipes, hoses, clamps oil/antifreeze/trans oil and other odd parts all added up. It came with a 12 month/12,000 mile warrenty. I'm getting over the sticker shock and have begun to enjoy the new engine.

It does run much more smoothly and sounds a lot better than the old engine. Is it worth the money, like I said, I plan to keep this van for at least ten years, maybe longer so the cost per year won't be too much. I had planned on nursing the old engine along until it died, but I severely bent the exhaust system which pushed me into this decision. I use the van for long road trips, so reliable and dependable transportation was a factor also. The tired, ten year old, coolant dripping engine had done it's job, for how much longer who knows?

By taking control of the situation I was able to order the engine, set up an appointment to have it installed and was able to drive to the shop. It took them three days to do the work. Helmut Hoyer's in Allentown PA did the it, old German guy and son team, shop clean enough to eat off the floor, they did it right, no problems so far. I preferred this situation to being some 500 miles from home, the head gasket fails and then have some shop I don't know work on it.

Well I hope this helps you in your decision, ----------------------------------------------------------------- John Sharpe jms@ludwig.att.com '86 Westy/Weekender/with a new engine Allentown, PA -----------------------------------------------------------------