Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Apr 1996 02:50:59 -0500
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: buying a used tranny.

I don't believe you can. Bite the bullet and buy a remanufactured from Transform or Mofoco that comes with a warrantee. Why go through the hassle of installing a trans that you might have to r&r in a few thousand miles.

James

>I was wondering how you can tell a good tranny from a bad one at a >swap meet. At the last meet I went to there were some all painted up >purty and supposidly rebuilt. Others were just pulled and their >sellers calimed they were in good condition. When people want cash >only and you know you will never see them again, how do you protect >yourself? ----

I bought a used tranny at a swap meet for $35. It was a 67 bus trans. One reduction box had been rebuilt, the other was full of shavings, so i has to pull it off and change it. It also had nearly new german brake parts on it that would have cost me more than $35. The trans went in my 61 deluxe, and cruised well, except for a whine at 45-50. Even if it only gives me a couple years, it's worth it.

try these tests - turn the spline where the engine would connect - does it feel firm or sloppy? try this in all gears (yes you can shift by moving the bit that sticks out the nose cone) How do the reduction gears shafts feel? This is no certain test-