Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Apr 1996 09:50:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      RE: V6anagon soon to be re-V6'ed

>Herr Maher wonders whether his engine mount may contribute to the short >and vibration-filled lives of his clutches. I suspect not, as I have >installed my engine at two very different heights, neither with any >apparent vibration problem. The engine and trans bolt together, and >can be angled differently by about 3 in. height as measured at the >muffler without a problem. Steve's setup includes an adapter plate, and >I could certainly picture that a mismachined adapter plate would put the >engine off line. Steve, is there a way compare the position of the >engine's crank pulley center to the centerline of the tranny?

I wish I knew one, Bill! But can't think of any *direct* way to do it without using X-ray vision, which hasn't been working too well since some V6anagon heckler Emailed me that Kryptonite. ;^)

Seriously, I hope to do this indirectly. The adapter has a ridge machined around a circumference that theoretically fits exactly into the tranny's bellhousing opening. It's there for alignment purposes, of course. If the tranny input shaft is supposed to be in the exact center of the bellhousing opening (anyone know if this is true?), then the engine crankshaft had also better be in the exact center of this ridge, as the engine is presently bolted to the adapter.

I'm going to cut a stick to the exact distance from the surface of the end of the crankshaft, to the ridge in the adapter, and then use it to measure all the way around the crank to the ridge. If it doesn't match all the way around, this could be part or all of the problem.

If there's a discrepancy larger than a few hundreths of an inch (I wonder if there's a spec for this), then I'll unbolt the adapter from the engine and see if the engine can slide around on the adapter. It shouldn't-- I think Kennedy mentioned some keying dowels that are supposed to prevent such slippage, again for alignment purposes. But if it does, then perhaps I can use this to re-align the engine more closely. Or, if it's off to the side and can't slide around, then Kennedy will get a "what do we do now" call.

Finally, I'll place the adapter against the tranny and see if there is any looseness or slippage there. I don't know if the input shaft sticks out far enough, to go thru the hole in the adapter. It normally goes into the pilot bearing, which is in the flywheel, which is on the tranny side of the adapter... If I can see it, tho, maybe I can get an idea if it's centered in the adapter also.

What a pain. Well, the course of true love never ran smooth, and I guess that applies also to the course of true torque. Stay tuned for the latest exciting developments in the V6anagon Chronicles... _______ /\ o o o\ Steve Maher smaher@gi.com 75461,1717 /o \ o o o\_______ San Diego, California < >------> o /| \ o/ o /_____/o| '80 VW V6anagon \/______/ |oo| '66 Mustang Coupevertible | o |o/ '89 Son Sherwin |_______|/ http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

"Tax the rich, and subsidize the less well off." "From each according to his means, to each according to his needs." Any questions?