Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Apr 96 11:51:12 -0700
From:         "Neuenschwander, Wes" <won0303@hub.doh.wa.gov>
Subject:      Re: Bike Racks

> Below is a summary of the information re bike racks that I received from

> various interested and

> helpful listees. Some of you who responded wanted to know what I found

> out, so here it is.

> Apparently the bike rack I was inquiring about is made by Paulchen. It is

> made in Germany; not

> imported to the US but is imported to Canada. These racks cost in the $400

> range, are available in

> a variety of configurations, and are sold by a number of dealers in the

> Vancouver, BC area and by

> dealers in Ontario. I heard from no one who actually has this rack but

> several respondents would

> really like one.

Sorry to have missed the original posting and the opportunity to respond more promptly - I've been on sort of a 'Vanagon List' sabbatical. I have one of the Paulchen racks, having been fortunate to pick up on a close-out special at one of the local Seattle area dealers (Carter VW) a couple of years ago. They are a superb piece of equipment. Very well designed (fit cleanly and closely to the rear hatch) and very well crafted. Also extremely sturdy (rated I believe at about 160#). They are actually a utility rack, with various optional accessory kits for carrying things like bikes, ski's, etc. My closeout special included the bike and ski options, as well as the locking kit (locks the lower attachment screw to prevent the rack from being removed from the van). I don't believe there are any still available locally. They were quite expensive (about $400) and never sold very well.

-Wes

Internet: won0303@hub.doh.wa.gov