Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Apr 96 14:00 CDT
From:         khooper@wsp1.wspice.com (Ken Hooper)
Subject:      68 Noise update/Hubcap problem

A few of you might remember my 68 Mystery Noise; the loud low-frequency hum-moan that occured at high speeds and was driving me plumb slap nuts. Just in case this happens to anybody else:

A simple tire rotation took care of it. Joel Walker had written and suggested this, along with about a dozen other people suggesting different things (thanks, everybody). I thought it unlikely, so I went on bloodying my knuckles for two weeks to no avail trying to fix things that might be causing the noise (wheel bearings, crawling aroud looking for esoteric hidden bushings, tightening everything I could find, &c.). I even bought a stethoscope to listen to stuff with.

A few days ago I had the wheels off to paint them and, remembering what Joel said, I rotated them when I put them back on. The noise disappeared instantly and completely.

Joel says radials do funny things sometimes as they wear. He learned it from a professional tire guy and didn't believe it either at first. But in at least these two instances, his and mine, simple wear can cause a noise like this. Thanks Joel!

Now, this next is a little thing, I suppose, but it's aggravating and I'm sort of at a loss:

After I painted the wheels I got new hubcaps to replace the disgraceful ones that were on there. The new ones are slippery for having new chrome where the old ones had lots of rust and dents for traction; every single one of my wheels is missing one of those little tabs that hold the caps on. The hubcaps keep flying off. Railroad tracks do it every time.

So what do you do about those little tabs? Drill the rivets out and put new tabs on? Are the tabs available? Seems like the more I try to bend the remaining 4/5 so they grab better, it just makes things worse. I don't have a welder.

--Ken 68 Westy, 71 Bus