Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Apr 1996 12:08:17 -0700
From:         Edward Wilson <edwils@ix.netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: '81 Vanagon, stumbles after warmed up

Thanks for the advice. Based on what you and others have said, I plan to:

1. check the air flow sensor flap for sticking 2. replace fuel filter (replaced 3 years, 15K miles ago, along with fuel pump) 3. add fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank 4. replace the plugs (Bosch Super (non-resistor) W8CC installed 8K miles,1.5 years ago) anyone know the exact name and # of the best plugs to put in? 5. buy a timing light (finally) and set the timing (4-6 degrees ATDC) 6. check O2 sensor, cylinder head temp sender + connections 7. clean all electical connections 8. clean fuel injector power relay

I hope it does some good.

Ed

Also, to answer the question about when it happens ... It has happened as early as within about 10 minutes of driving around, but is very intermittent then - every 10 minutes or so, it might stumble for an instant. A few times after driving for an hour or so, it will stumble more violently (again for a fraction of a second) and will occur up to about once a minute while cruising on the freeway at a steady 60-65 mph. Hills do not seem to matter either way. It happens when the oil temp is anywhere from 200 to 250. It seems to occur most often after the bus has been stopped temporarily (like to get gas) It happens in city traffic as well as on the freeway.

Any more ideas?