Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:56:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      RE: V6anagon soon to be re-V6'ed

On 19 Apr 1996, Jim Burns wrote: >Can the indirect method I think you're trying really measure to within say >1/8th inch?

I'm hoping more like 1/100th inch. Amazing how close you can be when you're patient. And loaded for bear. :^)

>I envision dropping the clutch disk into the flywheel, aligning with the >proper tool, and then taking non-hardening type clay and squeezing a rope >of the stuff into the edge clearance between the clutch disk and flywheel >lip. > >Install the PP as normal and bolt in the engine. Have someone hold in the >clutch and while you turn the engine over SLOWLY 4-5 times by hand. Any >misalignment should produce an eccentric rotation of the flywheel that >pushes the clay away from the clutch disk on all sides.

That's not a bad idea! Thank you, Jim-- may be worth a try!

Unfortunately, by the time the engine is installed on the tranny, the problem is no longer one of linear misalignment, though it probably started that way. The pilot bearing in the V6 flywheel, has pulled the trans input shaft over to the center of the engine, from wherever it started. Since the clutch mating surface is no more than 1/2" away from the pilot bearing, the clutch disc is essentially perfectly centered on the flywheel by then. I have a hunch that virtually no clay would be shoved aside in the way you described.

BUT... since the end of the input shaft has been pulled over the 1/4" or whatever distance... the input shaft now sits at an angle to the flywheel and clutch disc, instead of the perfect 90 degrees it should be. This has slightly bent the hub of the clutch disc over with it, while the rest of the disc remains clamped flat to the flywheel by the pressure plate. When the engine rotates 180 degrees, that slight bend is now the other direction. 180 more, and it now bends back in the original direction.

At 3000+ RPM, guess how long it takes for metal fatigue to set in in the disc hub? I'm amazed this thing went 6,000 miles before it failed. Sachs brand clutches (made in Germany) are TOUGH little suckers!

If I had a trans input shaft with the last 3/4" cut off, so nothing went into the pilot bearing, then your method would be VERY useful. The car would be undrivable, of course, but turning it by hand as you describe would be an effective test. The shaft does have some built-in wobble from the transmission, of course, to allow for *slight* misalignment. But I have a hunch that anything more than a few hundredths of an inch, would quickly get you into trouble-- as I am now. Yes, I do wonder if there is a maximum allowable offset. Anybody know?

_______ /\ o o o\ Steve Maher smaher@gi.com 75461,1717 /o \ o o o\_______ San Diego, California < >------> o /| \ o/ o /_____/o| '80 VW V6anagon \/______/ |oo| '66 Mustang Coupevertible | o |o/ '89 Son Sherwin |_______|/ http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

"Tax the rich, and subsidize the poor." "From each according to his means, to each according to his needs." Any Questions?