Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Apr 1996 09:30:59 -0500 (EST)
From:         Your what hurts? <bbach@cnct.com>
Subject:      Report on '74 Safare (longish)

Hello Volks,

Well, I saw the '74 Safare Custom Camper this weekend, and everything checked out as the owner said! The bus was a California car up until 1991, which explains why the body is so clean. Poking around underneath with a screw- driver proved that the body is, in fact, as solid as can be. Minor spots of surface rust here and there (around headlights, bottom side of passenger door). Wheel wells clean, no rust even where the pedals go through the floor. The heat ducts are even solid, so there may actually be a chance of coercing heat out of this thing! All in all, I'd say there is less rust on the bus than there is on my '93 VW Fox. Only things rusted were non-VW items, the straps holding up the grey water holding tank and the propane tank. The original paint looks pretty good, too. It's orange and white, and looks like a creamsicle on steriods!

Engine is strong with good, even compression across all cylinders. After driving the bus for about 15 minutes, the dipstick was cool to the touch - actually the engine was almost cool to the touch. Needs a muffler and brakes; brakes are being done as you read this. It drove beautifully, front end and suspension are all solid and tight. Differential, tranny and clutch all in excellent shape as well. Tires have good tread, but are dried and cracked from sitting, so they'll need replacing.

The interior is in good shape for a 20+ year old interior. All camping goodies are still there; stove and sink work, though I didn't have a chance to check out the fridge (which looks to be in pretty good shape). The original tables are there, all yellow as David Schwarze predicted (thanks for all the details, Dave!). The dash had been replaced because the old one was dried and cracked. The new dash is gorgeous, but all the knobs don't match (ie. there's a wiper control on the steering stalk, and a wiper control knob on the new dash). There is no radio in the dash. It'll need some work on the interior electrical wiring for the camping goodies (for the AC hookup), but all dashboard stuff is fine. No accessory battery in the engine compartment, and I didn't see hookups for it either, so that'll be an early project. Benches and beds all in fine shape, too.

Owner is throwing in (!) an extra engine, two extra doors, and (bonus!) a set of louvered windows from another bus that he stripped. I'm not sure if I want to swap out the louvred windows - the existing ones give the bus a nice clean profile, but the others would be nice for camping ventilation.

After poking around underneath I started her up, and the engine just sang. I just sat on the ground with my head in the engine compartment for a few minutes and savored it. We took her out for a spin, and I had a severe postal-worker drooling grin emblazoned on my face. Within about two blocks I knew that I had to have this bus. Owner was happy to sell it to me, because he knew that she was going to a good home.

I hope to pick her up this week after all the paperwork's done and the new brakes are in. When I get her home and have more of a chance to go over her with a fine toothed comb, I'll post more details, maybe even some pictures on a web site.

I'd really like to thank all the people on this list who were so helpful in giving me advice on this bus. Special thanks to Dave who provided so many Safare-specific details. The owner had a *number* of offers on this bus - people stopped by while I was looking at it and were making offers. I had printed out a bunch of pages from Dave's web page, including copies of the original Safare owner's manual. I believe that these were probably the deal closer for me - when the owner saw them, he flipped. He asked to keep the copies, so I, of course, obliged him.

Oooh, Joel! You can add another '74 Safare Custom Camper to the list of statz. (Do we get a separate Safare classification now?) Hope to see y'all on the road soon...

John Breitenbach (bbach@cnct.com) '74 Safare Custom Camper (as yet unnamed, though I'm leaning towards "Greta" - suggestions?)