Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Apr 96 14:54:31 -0500
From:         "Steven J. Hughes" <hugh0028@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Subject:      New Baby Story: Mint '87 Westie! 57K Miles! Needs front Table!

Greetings and Glad to be back on the List:

I unsubscribed from the list last fall for a while (grad school and all...), but as of Thursday night, Deborah and I became the proud owners of a 1987 Westie!! We bought it from Countryside VW here in St. Paul for $10,400, hard-negotiated down from an asking price of $10,995. The vehicle is virtually mint--only 57,000 miles! Paint and everything in Excellent condition. Must have been garaged during the winter, and only driven on trips. We know we paid above average retail, but it is in well above average condition, and Countryside replaced a lot of parts to bring it up to the current state (their internal repair ticket shows $1200 (retail) of repairs).

Unfortunately we will be back at the dealership Monday morning because there is a PROPANE LEAK somewhere between the main shut-off valve and the appliances, and the Alternator and Oxygen sensor LEDs fail to fully extinguish.

It is amazing that they sold it to me with the leak--they promised that they had checked the propane system out etc. etc., but as soon as I had a chance to fiddle with everything I smelled and heard the leak below, right near the hardware at the bottom of the vehicle. The very quiet hiss goes away shortly after I close the main valve, so I can at least contain it. "We checked everything out and it works perfectly." Yeah. Right. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't park it in my garage that first night..... I suppose this episode underscores the need to have that main valve off if you aren't using the appliances.

Now about this Oxygen Sensor and Alternator light business:

It seems that when I start up, all the warning lights go on as expected. Then when I am ready to go, I give the gas a little kick, hear a small relay "click" somewhere and the Alternator/O2 Sensor lights _almost_ turn off. It's like they reduce to 1/2 illumination. Furthermore, they seem to be operating in unison, like there is a short somewhere. Does anyone know why this is happening? is it normal? So they'll check it out at the dealership on Monday.

Which reminds me: I just did a Web search and found a list of Vanagon recalls. I'll print out the relevant ones and bring them to the dealer to confirm that they have been done. Anything else that I might want to have them check out on this visit? It is a recent enough purchase that I could make a case to have them do other work for free or cheap, but I don't see this working too far into the future.

Finally: The front table (the one that stows behind the driver's seat) was missing from the vehicle. This turned out to be worth $300 out of the final price when I noticed it--which, by the way, was the day after the deal was signed and they had a $200 deposit from me. Amazing: They initially offered me a $150 discount. I asked what the cost of the table was, and then frowned them up to the $300 discount--proves that the deal is never over until you drive away!

Dealer cost on this part is $415!. THey offered to sell it to me for that, but I took the price cut, hoping that I could get a used part somewhere. Does anyone know where I could find this table and how much I'll pay for it?

For what it's worth, the the original owner's name was "Lillian Joost" of Addison, IL. I have a previous address and phone number (it was written on the inside front cover of her maintenance record) but Lillian no longer lives in Addison, as I tried to call her to see if she still had the table.

SO: Anyone know where to get a table? Or, failing that, anyone know Lillian Joost?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!!

-Steve

____________________________________________________ Steven J. Hughes, M.A. University of Minnesota Division of Pediatric Neuropsychology UMHC Box 486 516 Delaware Street SE Mineapolis, MN 55455 ____________________________________________________