Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Apr 96 14:08:59 EDT
From:         snuggles@VNET.IBM.COM
Subject:      Preparing for The Big Trip (moving to the left coast)

hey now,

my girlfriend amanda and i have decided to head to the west coast this time next year. we are saving money and i'm gonna get my bus in tip top shape. this will be a combination tour/move. we plan to eventually settle in ashland, oregon.

okay, i've got some questions...i drive a '74 retrowestie...running good atm, never any major problems. we are talking several thousand miles of driving over 2-3 months. should i do a rebuild before leaving? replace most parts? just get a tuneup? has anyone made a major move across the continent? what did you do to get ready?

also, what parts would you take with you? if i start gathering stuff together now, it'll be a whole lot easier.

where can i find a roof rack to fit my bus? i figure this would be handy to have on the trip. and does anyone have any suggestions about packing stuff? i know i'll haveta get rid of most of my stuff before this move, cuz it's going to be cramped as it is, what with a girlfriend, a dog, me, and all our clothes, food, and misc. junk.

finally, i live in nc, my girlfriend wants to go to oregon via the southern route, i want to go via Vancouver. hehehe any suggestions on the best route to take across country?

jonathan