Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Apr 1996 10:39:00 -0400
From:         "bill (w.r.) crick" <crick@bnr.ca>
Subject:      Re: Gas Prices

>>I haven't seen any increase in the price of gas here in >>Switzerland really. It's still around US $1 .... a liter! >>That's US $4 a gallon. So stop bitchin' will ya! :-) >> >>Darie > >If you all in Switzerland had done some bitchin' years ago, the government >might not have made your price so high! :-)

>I think that's good old market forces making it that high-- every country >in Europe has similar prices, and has had forever.

>But I do wonder why they can't buy it as cheaply from the Middle East >as the U.S. obviously does.

They can: I think you will find the price difference is in taxes. At least in Canada it is. About 55% of our gas price is taxes. This money is allegedly used to pay for roads, road maintainance, .... All of the 'hidden costs' of owning, and worse yet driving a car. Although we bitch lot, it is a good system in that it is user pay. I drive, I pay gas taxes. My mother who walks to the grocery store spends very little directly to support roads. Note however, she pays the gas tax cost of getting the goods to the store through the manufacturers/distributors paying gas tax, and adding this to the prices.

If you don't have gas tax, who pays for your roads? Everyone, whether they use them or not? Hmmm! Sounds sort of like the commune system they had in Russia a few years back?

Bill Crick 76 type II/IV/VII

Talk about gas prices, anyone checked the cost of deuterium lately. My van has Type VII cold fusion deuterium injectors installed by the PO who worked at a government lab. Although I get 100,000 miles/mole the damn little canister is down to a 1/2 already, and the van only has 55,000 miles on it. I figure its gonna cost about $6,500 to refill. At these prices, I might just rip the whole thing out, and go back to gas, but it burns my ass to pay gas tax. I assume that some day they'll find out how many people are burning heavy water, and put road taxes on it too. Happened to diesel oil, and propane. Its only a matter of time before the taxes cause people to start smuggling it out of power plants to avoid the taxes.

;-)