Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Apr 96 9:17:31 -0700
From:         "Neuenschwander, Wes" <won0303@hub.doh.wa.gov>
Subject:      Re: Dometic Camper fridges

> Does anyone have any info on Dometic type fridges? Specifically details on

> how

> they operate, how to perform maintainence, schematics.etc...I'm having a

> problem with the gas operating mode on the fridge in my 85 Westy and I

> would

> like to know a little about the unit before I pull it out .I'd like to

> avoid

> pulling it out if I can but thats where the info come in . Can anyone out

> there help me out? Tom 85 Westy ,66 Deluxe

If the fridge operates OK in the 12V and 120V modes, your problem is probably with the gas burner. These typically get dirty and need to be cleaned. For a quick check on burner operation, most units have a small flame viewer port within the box. The flame should be pure steady blue (yellow or flickering indicates a poor mixture or other combustion problem). On my 91 Westy, servicing the unit involves disconnecting the propane line and burner vent and removing the fridge mounting screws so the unit can be pulled out and burner assembly accessed. I haven't done this myself (the first time it failed, it was under warranty), but it appears fairly easy to do. Cleaning the burner assembly should be fairly straightforward (brushing out the soot and blowing clean), but I'd probably contact a parts house to be sure components are available if needed. When reassembling the unit, be sure to leak check the gas line connections with soapy water.

-Wes

-Wes

Wes Neuenschwander

Internet: won0303@hub.doh.wa.gov