Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 96 13:22:41 EST
From:         Aaron Sedgmen <asedgmen@bmr.gov.au>
Subject:      Re: Oil Press. Sender location(T4)

Aaron J. Wood wrote:

> I have a 1.7 liter engine that I am trying to mount an oil pressure > sender on. The threads on the sender are the same as the threads on > the stock oil pressure switch. The problem is that the sender is so > darn BIG that the hole in the tinware is too small. Has anyone found > a succesfull way to mount one of these electric sending units on a > type IV engine, while the engine is in the bus? If so please help > me.

I found that in order to get the oil pressure sender (VDO) to clear the tinware on my camper's 1800 type IV motor, I had to buy another brass extension/mount, exactly the same as the one which came with the kit, and screw them together. This doubled the clearance of the sender away from the block. There was a hole in the side of the bottom extension/mount where the original oil pressure switch was meant to go (it is now on the top extension/mount) which I blocked with a trimmed down bolt.

I've had this setup for about four years (50000 km) and have had no problems.

Hope this helps, cheers.

Aaron Sedgmen '74 1800 camper.