Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 1996 13:11:08 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: '66 progress, questions about wiring, lights

I had the lights apart. Also the head-light buckets needed a good cleaning, the lenses got a good rubbing out on the front and look much better now. (I'm not sure why these headlights have the extra glass covers over the sealed beams. Looks like the glass covers disappeared around 1967-1968 or so. Anybody know the story here? Was it just the body style change -------- headlight buckets for 67 are the same as 66 + earlier

I replaced the small lamps inside the headlight buckets that are mounted in the side of the bucket although I don't know what these lights are used for. I assume the front blinker lights are also the "parking" lights. ----

the little bulbs in the bucket are the running/parking lights- only on when the light switch is pulled out halfway.

The most difficult lights to replace were all the instrument panel lights. To replace them I removed the steering wheel mount, dropped the parcel...... -------- i pull them out individually to change them, by reaching under the dash. this way you dont mix all the wires up. if the wires are out of the way back there, dont worry about them being tidy. I have seen transformers through which you wire the lead to a 6 volt radio in a 12v car. i dont know if they are still available.

12 volt dome light bulbs are longer than 6 volt dome light bulbs and just *barely* fit. ---

WARNING - go yank those bulbs YOU HAVE THE WRONG ONES. i hope you havent put the plastic covers on, or they will melt. INSIST on 12V 5W bulbs. It is easier to find 10W bulbs. if you use 10W, leave the cover off, it will melt. the aprropriate bulb fits just right.

Wiper assemblies changed in 1966 to a new unit that can't be dissasembled and upgraded to 12 volts by replacing the armature. I'll need to get a 1955-1965 wiper assembly. -- actually, the switch to the bracket included style came in 65. the easier thing to do is get a voltage drop, which are cheap and easy to install. otherwise, get a 67 wipermotor.

good luck and i hope the electrical monsters aretamed.