Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:26:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Re: Gas Prices

>Here in Saskatchewan (another province in Canada - not as pretty as BC, but >"so flat we can see the future coming") the provincial gov't spends less >than 20% of the money they collect on the gasoline tax on road maintenance. >The gov't is also allowing some paved roads to "revert to gravel". The rest >of the gas tax money goes into the province's general revenue fund. You'd >immediately notice this when you enter the province, as the roads are >riddled with potholes, and have thousands of patches per km. As the old joke >goes: How are Saskatchewan highways and golf courses similar? They both have >18 holes per mile.

Wellllll.... not here in California!!!

Here, *all* of the federal and state tax money goes into the general funds of each organization.

In fact, when I moved here, I was "allowed" to pay a $300 fine<<<<fee for an "environmental protection fund", since the three cars I brought in, were not Calif. cars with the additional smog equipment those have. The fact that they all passed the higher CA emissions standards, was irrelevant. Yes, that's $300 for *each* car, $900 total.

Well, sez I, at least I'm paying for people working to fight for environmental cleanliness, right?

Wrongo-- these "fees" go into the general fund, just like traffic tickets and court fines do. Any environmental benefits that come from my $900, are strictly an accident. Whereas they *could* have simply required me to spend that $900 cleaning up my cars' emissions equipment. Except they were quite clean already...

End of tirade. Wasn't even long.

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com "We're from the government. We're here to help you."