Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 1996 12:45:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Re:  V6anagon hmmmm...

>Seems odd that the flywheel would be unbalanced on purpose. You would >want that to occur on the crankshaft counterweights, else the loads >on the end of the crank end near the flywheel would be extreme.

I couldn't agree more. H*ll of a way to run a railroad if you ask me. But evidently a few engines are made this way-- this 2.8L V6, Chevy's 454 big-block V8, etc. Since I'm stuck with it, I may as well try to fix it.

In case this hasn't been complicated enough for you all, I just had a local racing shop (who rebuilds and balances engines a lot) tell me that *some* Chevy 2.8L V6s had this need for unbalanced flywheels, while other Chevy 2.8L V6s didn't!!! Arrrrrrggggghhhhh...

Only thing to do here, is call the PO (who I'm sure also doesn't know nitty-gritty details on this), find out what shop in Missouri rebuilt and balanced this creature, and call THEM to ask what flywheel it now needs. That's IF they still have records from two+ years ago, and IF they made such detailed notes. They might have simply said, "This is the flywheel yo must use with this engine". Which may or may not be the flywheel I have here... and may or may not have been subsequently modified by Kennedy for the adaption... aaiiieeeee....

Ladies and gentlemen, I am still a strong supporter of engine adapters. But if you're going to put a non-VW engine in a VW, be sure you get one that doesn't have these oddball designed-in balance problems!!!!! You'll lose a lot less sleep, and spend a lot less time curled up in strange positions under your ride, wrestling with engines and clutches that don't like you very much.

But, boy, it's still a blast to drive. Keeps up easily with other mini-vans, outhandles them, has more room, and has lots more class.

But next time, I'm putting a Mazda rotary in it.

_______ /\ o o o\ Steve Maher smaher@gi.com 75461,1717 /o \ o o o\_______ San Diego, California < >------> o /| \ o/ o /_____/o| '80 VW V6anagon \/______/ |oo| '66 Mustang Coupevertible | o |o/ '89 Son Sherwin |_______|/ http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

"Tax the rich, subsidize the poor." "From each according to his means, to each according to his needs." Any Questions?