Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 1996 17:54:54
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (RON SALMON)
Subject:      4 Westfalia Campers (& a Splitty) For Sale in Pa (LONG)

I now have seven VW busses, not including my parts busses. My driveway looks like a used Bus lot. I need to get rid of some of them. If the township doesn't cite me, my wife will eventually kill me. I usually get slow trickle of Westies from out West in the spring, that I fix up and sell, but this time they all came at once and I'm swamped. If you know anyone who is interested in a rust-free late 70's Westy, please send them my way.

BEHIND DOOR #1 we have a '77 Westy, chrome yellow. The previous owner (in Calif.) put in a completely rebuilt motor less than 3000 miles ago, so it runs well. He also replaced the front seats with some sort of fancy Recarro-type seats, and reupholstered the sofabed in black. (I guess he didn't like that wonderful plaid!) Cabinetry is in good shape, pop-top canvas is useable but not great. Body is completely solid (no rust), and is straight except for a small dent behind the sliding door. Needs tires. I have receipts for $2500 worth of work put into it over the last 1-2 years. Asking $3500. The title for this one won't arrive from California for a few weeks.

BEHIND DOOR #2 is a tan '78 Deluxe Westy. This is also a California car, and has no rust, but it's a little rough. There are dents in the nose and on the left side, which the previous owner pulled out with a dent puller, leaving holes from the dent puller. The dent on the side is pretty small, but the nose is a bit wrinkled. (The front mounted spare hides most of it.) The pop-top canvas has a rip on one side, and would have to be patched or, better yet, replaced. The camping stuff seems to work, but the upholstery is a bit worn and a couple of cabinet doors have the wood grain formica peeling off. The bus needs some fuel injection work. I will be asking $1950 when it is done, or would take $1700 as is. If someone wanted to put a little work into this, it could be a very nice bus because it is completely solid.

BEHIND DOOR #3 we have a beautiful '76 Deluxe Westy, sage green, with all options. This bus has 90,000 original miles, and looks it. The interior is in excellent condition, the body is straight and solid, the pop-top is good, and all the accessories are there - the center jumpseat, the child's cot, even the original owners manuals for the stove and refrigerator! But the motor is bad. With a good motor in it, I will ask $4500 for this one. It's worth it. I would sell if for less as-is, of if someone wants a real keeper I could order a rebuilt motor of their choice for the difference in price. This is a really nice bus.

BEHIND DOOR #4 is a charming '76 Chrome Yellow Westy from California. No rust, only a small scrape/dent at the very bottom of the left side. Interior is in good condition, canvas is good, cabinets are in good shape, front seats are fair, rear upholstery good. The transport company damaged the pop-top fiberglass slightly. There is a 2" wide bite taken out of it at the very front, on the side, above the drivers door. Once repaired most of it will be hidden by the pop- top weatherstripping. Overall, this bus is in excellent condition. It, too, needs a motor, however. I could put one in and sell it for $2500, or sell it for less as-is.

BEHIND THE BONUS DOOR is a non-Westy, a '67 Deluxe Microbus that I was going to keep until I found a project '63 that I decided to keep instead. It is originally from Texas, and is in good but unrestored, condition. It has the original paint (worn), chrome (nice), and emblem (shiny). It is in good running condition, with a 1600 dual port and a good transaxle and clutch. Tires are good. Generally very solid: Rocker panels are all solid except for two dime-sized holes on one side. There are a couple of quarter-sized holes in the cargo area, a very rusty battery tray, and a few spots where new metal was welded in. (The job was done right, they will not need attention again.) All of the jailbars are there but one. There are a couple of wrinkles in the lower right rear, but in general the body is pretty straight. Needs minor brake work, both bumpers, and almost all of the interior. Asking $2500 or best offer.

If I could sell a couple of these quickly, I would have room to work on the rest of them, plus I would save my marraige to boot. Any takers?

-Ron Salmon