Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:08:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:         William Alan Killian <killian@qnet.com>
Subject:      Re: '73 Westy Questions ('72 comparisons)

> > Was there originally a holding tank under the sink drain? Or was it designed > > to make a mud puddle outside the side door? (how very early-'70's on the > > environmental front) Inquiring minds want to know! > > No grey water tank. From the sink drain (under the car) there is a length > of PVC pipe that diverted the flow to the driver's side of the vehicle. > The mud puddle formed behind the driver's door. Just put a bucket under > there to catch the "liquids".

Not sure if it changed for the '73... In the '72 there was a cap on the end of this longish pipe. Cap off it drained. Cap on it was a longthin holding tank. We would leave it loose enough that it slow drained. Puddles while stopped but spread if moving at all. With the cap tight you could wait and dump anywhere.

> > Given that the exterior is a brilliant international orange, any guesses on > > the original upholstery and/or curtain colour? > > The front bucket seats were tan "basket weave" leatherette. The other > seats were covered with gold canvas-like material. Curtains were a tan, > yellow and gold plaid fabric. > I have seen other Westys of this vintage with gold leatherette on the rear > seats. Perhaps this was a factory option.

Our '72 ahd ugly tan vinyl rear seats. greyish brown not really tan for the front. Again it was a year before. Same curtains it sounds like.

We put clothes and towels in the "wheel well" for spare tire after we moved it to the nose. Never made a foam block. Too bad. probably would have been more comfortable.

Other than these points they matched. Was the '73 the first year the pop top opened with a rear hinge? Ours was front hinged with the storage rack (normally holding the tent in the rear.

bill and diane killian zen and the art of ferrets http://userwww.qnet.com/~killian/zen_home.htm