Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Apr 1996 19:47:34 -0600
From:         Dave Backe <backed@cadvision.com>
Subject:      77 fuel injection - glorious end to Chapter 1

OK. So my newly installed fuel injection system is running way too rich, and gas was forming around the tap for the pressure gauge, and around some of the hose connections. Hmmm. "It's gotta be the pressure regulator," I think to myself. Running rich, and too much pressure; one solution to both anomolies.

I know.. I should get a fuel pressure gauge and make SURE the pressure is too high, and also check the return fuel line from the pressure reg, just to be sure.

I cheated. I replaced the pressure reg first. Hey, I've been a backyard mechanic for almost 2 months now (that's how long I've had my bus). So what if this is the first mechanical thing I've ever done in my life. I KNOW how this thing works... I pulled the tank return line from the p.r. Gas came out, so the return line probably isn't clogged. Good. I plug the line, loosen the locking nut, and go back up. Try and loosen the the hose clamp on the high pressure side of the p.r. - hard to get at. Maybe if I unplug the 7-pin connection to the air flow meter I can get at it better. Yup. Take out the old, put in the new, reconnect the gas lines and fire it up.

Yay! No more black smoke. The idle is a bit high, but as she warms up, the idle seems to come down in steps. Still a bit high, so I tighten up the idle adjust screw a bit. Still seems kinda rough, but nowhere near as bad as before. Sounds better too. No gas forming at the tap or hose connections. Despite my cockiness, the fuel circuit seemed to be operating a lot better. I lucked out.

I hit the accelerator on the throttle body. It tries to rev, and eventually does, but runs real rough. I also hear a faint hissing, like air flowing - probably a small air leak. Try to rev it up again - coughs and eventually works its way up, but its REAL rough. Probably the timing.

I shut her down, loosen the distributor, get out the timing light and start her up again. Whoah! At idle (~900rpm) it's over 20deg btdc. OK, lets bring 'er back to 7.5. OK, that's better. I push the throttle lever, and it still gags. Hmm. I'm thinking "hey, I've got this much accomplished today - let's give it a rest until tomorrow". Still hear some faint hissing. Shut it down again, and really tighten down the air and vacuum connections. Tighten up the screws that connect the throttle body to the air intake dist.

Wait a minute. What's this? Gee! Maybe I should have reconnected the 7-pin connector to the air flow meter!!!!

Duh..... I'm surprised it even ran without it. I plug it in, check a few more air hoses, and start it up.

Aaaahhh... That's the sound I'm looking for. A lot smoother.... I step on the gas, and it revs up like it should.

A quick check for gas leakage, and I start packing my tools into the bus while it's idling. It's still a faint bit rough, but in a knitpicking kind of way; my '91 fuel injected car idles a bit rough too. I think it smells a bit rich, but I'll have to see what happens over time. Off to SuperFLAPS; it's a bit farther away than FLAPS, but it will give me a chance to test 'er out.

Wow, this thing has a totally different power curve than the Weber. The Weber gives a good punch once it hits about 1500 - 2000rpm. The problem with the carb, though, was that it had NO power up to that point; hit the gas and watch it die. Especially bad at air temps below 50deg F. Don't even try to start moving while stopped on a hill.

But now... It's about 45F this evening. And I have power at low RPMs! What a feeling to be able to take most turns in 2nd gear. To not have to wait 2 seconds after stepping on the gas to get the RPMs up high enough to release the clutch and start off.

Happy, happy... Joy, joy....

I arrive at superFLAPS, check for fuel leakage, and grab some fi cleaner gas treatment stuff (they didn't have Techron, so I grabbed STP. I may need a couple of 'treatments' anyways, so I'll look for the good stuff in the meantime). Head to gas station and put in almost a full tank of premium, and head for home. Still want to check for any more air leaks, but it's running better than ever.

I am injected.

Thanks to everyone for their support and suggestions. I don't think I would have tried something like this without the help of this massive resource.

I learned a lot over the last month. Not just about fi systems, but about how to do things yourself. This whole 'disposable society' thing is the reason I wanted a bus in the first place. An 'immersion course' in automechanics; an immersion course in life, if you will.

The end.

Stay tuned for "why does my transmission go 'clunk'" and "the never ending pushrod tube leak", coming soon to a theatre or drive-in :) near you.

Dave.