Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Apr 1996 11:24 EDT
From:         sidote@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU (dave sidote)
Subject:      71 camper advice

Hello,

I think that I am going to purchase a 71 camper. According to the owner it has a blown rear seal (leaks oil), the taillights need work, and the interior is missing some of the camping equipment. It has rust in the usual places, behind the drivers seat on the floor (minor), behind both front wheels in the wheel well and the rockers are very ugly. It starts right up, but burns alittle oil. The whole thing (including the interior) is primer. I think that it pretty solid underneath and the trans feels pretty good. The PO fixed the rust by pop riveting on sheet metal and than putting bondo over it (looks like he applied it with a popsicle stick ;-))It has been sitting a while, but the engine compartment is clean and there is no rust anywhere in or around the engine compartment. It comes with an extra motor too! Since the only other bus that I have owned is a 78 I was wondering if someone could give me some things to look at on this one. Is there any thing that makes this bus better than other years? Anything that I forgot to check? The top is alittle ripped but nothing that can't be repaired. Anyinfo would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, dave sidote@mbcl.rutgers.edu

BTW the price is reasonable