Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Apr 1996 16:44:28 -0500
From:         perring@infocom.net
Subject:      Re: '69 BUS; NEW ENGINE HELP/INFO

OK, First of all, Thanx to everyone that responded to my question(s) of immediate agony on the subject of my '69 camper and my having heard the description "shot engine".

I made a detailed inspection of the engine this morning and discovered that the cylinders and pistons were the wrong size on my 1600 cc single port engine. Additionally, they were in pretty sorry shape. The oil cooler was the wrong size and had been mounted so as to allow for very little oil flow through the device. The carb was undersized, and several other misc. items were in such a state so as to cause me to, most likely, carry an inordinate worry in my head as I might get further and further down the road from my driveway on any given "fun trip".

I sat down and discussed my situation with the mechanic(s), making sure that everyone knew exactly what I was willing to accept, and what I was willing to do myself. I explained that savings of marginal investment dollars was not my concern. The concern for having all parts and work performed in a proper manner was of prime importance, tempered, of course, with my wanting the final bill to be in a proper range of tolerance. We arrived at the following:

Rebuilt block with new cylinder heads, new pistons (Mahle) and cylinders, new crankshaft, new connecting rods, new flywheel (balanced), new clutch and throwout bearing, new oil pump, new carb., all new push rod tubes, new camshaft, new generator, new voltage regulator, new intake manifolds for dual port configuration, new muffler and exhaust pipes, all gaskets to be new throughout, new seals, new fuel pump, new oil cooler (properly sized), new plugs and points. (The distributor is already brand new.) Engine Oil and transmission oil change. Grease job all way around.

We use existing ignition coil and fuel filter which are both brand new.

I go to shop to inspect engine prior to it's being installed in bus. Warranty of 6 months or 10,000 miles on all parts. Warranty of 1 year on all labor. Checkup and adjustments at 2,000 miles, including oil change at that time. Return for valve adjustment at 5,000 miles.

I drive it before we exchange any money. No money to be handed over until I accept all work and parts. Bus to be lifted for my inspection prior to the acceptance of any work. Mechanic to be available at time of acceptance/inspection for spot checks on any item(s) I desire to investigate.

$1,400.00 for all work! Doing some quick math puts me to figure I am out about $400.00 on the deal, but if the work is to the standard that I trust/hope/monitor it to be, the $400.00 is acceptable as a cost factor spread so as to remove me from the "screw-up curve" and the hot Texas temperature driving insecurity factor. Also, I am hoping that the $400.00 "premium" buys me a comfort factor when I push the time allotment that we make for our weekend trips. I really don't want to worry about the probablities of "making it" when we plan on those late Sunday night arrivals back home after an otherwise fun weekend on ther road.

BUT I CAN GUARANTEE YOU ONE THING. IF THIS JOB TURNS OUT TO BE LESS THAN A HAPPY EXPERIENCE, THEN I'M RIGGING UP AN ENGINE STAND, GETTING OUT THE LAVA SOAP, AND NEVER TURNING MY BUS OVER TO ANYONE EVER AGAIN, EXCEPT IN AN EMERGENCY !

BTW, Please do take a moment to grab a look at our home page. You can get a look at "Maizey the Money Bus" in several pictures.

Again, Thanx for all the responses. I hope I haven't put myself in the category of a "fool and his money soon parted" on this one.

/////\\ ( # # ) *****oOO-(_)-OOo************************************** Bob & Mary Beth Perring Houston, Texas e-mail perring@infocom.net Web site http://www.infocom.net/~perring/bucky.html ******************************************************