Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Apr 96 17:46 CDT
From:         khooper@wsp1.wspice.com (Ken Hooper)
Subject:      Re: buses [and bidnisses] fer sale (HOT VWs) ...

>and if anybody wants to start a new life in Memphis, TN ... > >Elvis drove a VW! Reluctant owner must sell well established Volkswagen >repair, restoration business in Memphis, TN. Auto dealer license with >(bank financing) on sales and restorations. Large customer base, tons of >parts, 75 assorted VWs. Always busy. Unlimited growth for quality minded >caring individual. Asking $150,000 terms (WAC). Also cool house in midtown >5 minutes away. Low 50's. >(901) 324-0995, fax (901) 324-0040 >Moon Bugs >2404 Summer Ave >Memphis, TN 38112

I know that place...

That guy seems to do a bang-up business restoring (almost exclusively) Bettle convertibles. Has a small lot teeming with mostly bugs. I've seen Ghia restos in there, too, the sort of lowered/shopped/channeled/rolled/tucked abominations that are popular in magazines. There are usually an abandoned bus or three stuck somewhere in front but if he actually restores them, they don't show up on the street around here.

Most of the "75 assorted VWs" seem to be moldering carcasses; he will let you pick and pull for *very* little money but the stuff is well picked over. But I have got good seats there before. Mostly you call and he says "yes" or "no." Last thing I asked about was pre-71 wheels and there were none at all, which gives you an idea about his inventory...

It's located next door to a porno movie theater in a very poor part of Memphis. If you bought it you'd have to move it unless you have no self-respect whatsoever. And a lot of the stuff is not worth moving, from the looks of it.

But he does seem to stay very busy. I have no opinion on the price; the place has been for sale for a long time.

--Ken 68 Westy, 71 Bus