Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Apr 1996 00:55:17 +0000
From:         "Aaron J. Wood" <afn32620@freenet.ufl.edu>
Subject:      Re: Oil Press. Sender location(T4)

Kirk wrote:

> I have a 2.0 liter type IV engine in my pea green 1977 camper, and a > package from RMMW containing an oil pressure gauge and sender arrived > on my doorstep today. I don't know how similar our engines are, but I > also have the "hole too small" problem. I'm not sure, but it looks to > me like there is not quite enough clearance to pull the tin shroud, > install the new sender, and reinstall the shroud (I'm not even sure > how to pull the tin).

Kirk, doing this is a real pain, the bolts that hold on the tin are BEHIND the breat tin(firewall tin). If you have a single carb of fuel injection you will have to remove the intake tubes. All this adds up to its not worth it.

> What have you decided to do?

You are right, the threads on the sender are 1/8 in tapered National Pipe Threads(NPT). This means that the sender could screw right into the existing hole. Wouldn't that be oh so nice, but that is not the case. On my engine, I found that there was not even enough room between the distributor and the existing hole to screw the sender in(it bumps the dist.). So on to plan B, I went to the harware store and bought a two inch piece of brass pipe and a brass "T", all having 1/8 in NPT. I screwed the pipe into the existing hole, screwed the "T" onto the pipe(so that there was on horizontal and one vertical hole), screwed the original idiot switch into the top hole and the new sender in the horizontal hole. Everything fit just great. As I looked at the setup my brain began to think on its own, hmm, the pipe makes the two senders the highest point on the engine. Air flows to the highest point. Damn, air will get into the pipe and screw up all the readings. On to plan C. Not knowing what else to do I went to the store again and bought a short nipple(get your ming out of the gutter) that has two male sides to it, and another "T", and a draincock. I screwed on the second "T" in the same exact position as the fist one(one hole vert. one hor.). I then screwed the idiot switch into the hor. hole and the draincock into the upper hole. This way I can bleed the air out of the system when the engine is started and oil pressure has built up. To sum it up it looks like the strangest contraption in the world. The new sender mounted horizontal, the old switch mounted horizontal, and the bleeded valve on top. The problem is that I don't know how often air will build up in the line, or even if it will effect things that much. I will have to bleed it every oil change for sure, but I don't know how often after that. I plan to watch the gauge when I know that there is no air in the line then when or if it gives some odd readings go back and bleed it. It only takes a second but is a little messy if not done correctly.

Hope this help Write back if anything is unclear. Aaron J. Wood Student at University of Florida Email: afn32620@freenet.ufl.edu Home Phone:(352) 376-2330