Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Dec 95 19:03:24 EST
From:         John Anderson <ja@coe.wvu.edu>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Vanagon lifting Brainwork

> John, > > Your idea to weld a 2nd tube under the existing shock mount tube is > brilliant--an elegant, simple solution. I imagine the existing welds which > hold the bottom of the shock onto the stock tube could be strengthened > somehow as well, either by additional welding or by something like the 1/8"

iDerek forgot to mention the thing that worries me here is that welding to the tube will boil and burn the hydraulic fluid in the shock. If I didn't have this worry the perfect perfect solution is just to weld something that looks like the bottom half of said remote control to the bottom of the shock, after taking of the current tube with an angle grinder. Now I'm still not against this solution but if the heating from welding is too excessive the thing might blow apart if pressurized, you never did mention if this one is shot but was origionally gas charged, if they are gas charged all the worse. If merely hydraulic which this one appears, hell this could be dissasembleable, certainly looks like the top screws off. Then I'd be inclinded to take first an old one like this take it apart, do the welding, reasemble and see what we get. May even be able to weld to it if not dissasembleable as long as not gas charged, probably could as the body and oil inside should conduct away heat very readily.

Current thought looks like this

To quell any worries about this, this is far from exotic, I could do the machining and welding myself though I'd likely turn both over to a pro and figure no more than $50 for the whole things out the door. However, adding spacers at the top is still a much easier idea for whatever we can get out of it, both of these ideas BTW reduce no suspension travel.