Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Apr 96 15:20:15 PDT
From:         stafford@newport26.hac.com (Jack Stafford)
Subject:      Re: more '73 Westy questions

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Will&Angela <whysper@groupz.net> ask: > Can anyone tell us how to remove the sink unit > with out damaging anything?(we need to fix the floor)

You'll need to remove EVERYTHING inside to replace the floor.

The Robert Bentley shop manual has an excellent description of how to remove and install the Westfalia equipment. It even has b&w photos of a '73 in that chapter as an example.

Remove: 1.Plumbing from the drain pipe (under the car). 2."Stove pipe" vent that connects to the top of the sink. 3.The two nuts and bolts that attach to the bulkhead behind the passenger seat. 4.Two angle brackets from the walk-thru aisle. 5.Gently lift the sink unit up about 8" or until the drain pipe clears the hole in the floor. Refer to Bentley for 2nd Dr's opinion. (see above - I'm working from memory)

> Where can we find a cushion for the bed that goes > over the engine compartment?

Junkyard. Or find an old sofa that closely matches and steal the best looking cushion. Make your own from foam rubber and cloth/leatherette.

> Is it advisable to mount the spare tire on the front?

Yes. Then you can have two spare tires on board.

> If so, how hard is it to do this?

Piece of cake. You need a drill and screwdriver. I think I used toggle bolts that came with the spare tire mount bracket. Measure twice and drill once.

> Are 185 75 R14 tires the best for a Westy?

Source of endless debate, kind of like Coke or Pepsi. I've been using Michelin XZX 185R14 Reinforced, YMMV. Make sure you get a 6-ply and/or reinforced sidewall.

> Are there any general things we should know about Westies?

They get weather helm in crosswinds. Register as a 'house car' so you get recreational vehicle insurance rates and serve liquor in the back (limo). Underpowered - known to other motorists as a roadblock. With the top popped up you can stand up to put your pants on in the morning. Won't fit into many parking garages. blah blah blah.... :)

Jack '73 Westfalia Costa Mesa, CA