Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Apr 1996 22:42:04 -0400
From:         "Kirk D. Hilliard" <kdh5j@emmy.math.virginia.edu>
Subject:      Re: Cats Onboard [was: road hazards]

Elizabeth Chamberlain <echamberlain@envirolink.org> wrote:

> I will be taking my two cats on the road with me for the cross > country tour. ... the Westy will be our only home for five months. > ...

Elizabeth! I am so glad that you wrote -- I thought that I was the only one crazy enough to contemplate something like that. I plan on taking a somewhat more modest five to six week road trip with my two cats, Tasm and Dewey. I have a pea green 1977 camper, and will be the only human (at least at the start) on the trip. Here are some modifications and configurations that I have been considering. (Not all will apply to your vanagon.)

Sandbox: The PO had bolted a lap belt behind the passenger's seat for use with a bug seat that he occasionally placed there, and it does a wonderful job holding the sandbox. The sandbox has a rim around it which helps somewhat to stop flying sand (from over zealous exaction, not from acceleration). I have considered switching to a covered sandbox, but this would be new to them and I really want them to be comfortable with with the sandbox. It is a mission critical item!

Cat Carriers: It is important to have a carrier for the kitties in case of emergency. I disassembled both of their plastic carriers and stacked the shells together. Then I lined them with a blanket, making a nice kitty basket which I tied onto the passenger's seat. They really liked this on an overnight trip that I took them on made. The two of them would alternate riding in the copilot's basket.

Food and water dishes: Their water dish does a good job staying put on the carpet, but their food dishes slide around a lot. I was quite surprised that with the water dish half full no water spilled, even when the food dishes went flying all over the place as I took a tight corner. Could this be because the water dish has vertical sides? I plan on getting some of the non-skid rubberized mat material sold in the kitchen section of department stores and see if that will help keep the food bowls in place.

Cats sliding off the counter top: I worried a little about taking corners when a cat was sitting on the counter top. They didn't hang out there much, but they occasionally sat there to look out of the window. I think that I will put more of that non skid-matting on the counter top and table.

[ General bus question: The owner's manual says that the large table must be stowed on the back bed while driving. Is it really that dangerous to drive with the table in place (probably rotated back and against the port bulkhead) if all the clamps are screwed down tight? ]

Cats under foot: I have had some problem with this. I have the small box/seat lashed between my two front seats, so a cat can't sneak up into the front of my bus without me knowing it. One of the cats really likes to sleep on the floor in front of the passenger's seat, and I really enjoy them riding next to me in the copilot's basket, so I don't want to ban them from the front of the bus with a netting. The problem that I had was that one cat (Tasm -- the evil creature who is, at this very moment, trying to walk all over my keyboard) tried several times to crawl in front of the hand brake lever and get in front of the pedals. This is not a good place for a furry one to be! I am thinking of fitting a small piece of masonite under the dash to keep him from crossing there. I may try to extend this with more masonite or with netting so that there is no way for him to get on the floor on my side, but I am having problems avoiding interference with the stick shift. At least if he comes across behind the hand brake lever he is in reach and I can bat him out of the way.

Cats out the window: > Dick loves the van and acts more like a dog (he likes to stick his > head out the window and is completely comfortable roaming around any > vehicle). Neat! I am worried about mine jumping out of open windows. Specifically, this would be the two front windows and vent windows and the back vent window. I am thinking of tying some netting to cover the windows, but I'm not sure how to fasten it. I could probably get it secured to the trim above and below the back vent window (most likely loosening the trim first), but the front windows are problematic. I am considering tying a net that would cover the entire door and protrude outside several inches where it would be secured with another line or with an elastic cord. I am concerned about the possibility of rain water leaks and of chafing on the paint if the securing cord flaps at highway speeds.

Tail closed in door: I plan on avoiding use of the sliding door as much as possible and on being vigilant when closing any door.

Cats roaming: There may be times when I don't want the cats in a certain part of the bus. For instance, I may want them restricted to the very back of the bus when I am loading or unloading equipment, and restricted to anywhere but the back of the bus when I need access to the engine hatch. I could just put the carriers together for such occasions, but I am considering tying a net for this purpose. I haven't figured out how to secure it yet, and with all these nets to make I may wind up tying knots for six weeks instead of bussing!

Cats overheating: I am quite concerned about this. That is why I want to make all windows safe to be left open. When stopped I will crank the louvered windows open and, if necessary, turn on the fans. I have one 12vdc fan mounted just forward of the left front door and another one to the left of the read seat. I better check and see which battery they run off of.

[General bus question: The owner's manual says not to drive with the louvered windows open since the hinges are not built to withstand the resulting wind force. Does anyone have experience with this. ]

Let me know what kitty related ideas or questions you have.

Kirk Hilliard kdh5j@virginia.edu

Tasm says "Ptrrl." Dewey is asleep.