Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Apr 1996 16:54:02 -0700
From:         dabaker@nas.nasa.gov (M. David Baker)
Subject:      '76, FI Bus:  problems with smoke

To all:

Some of you may have gotten that the message earlier that my '76 was for sale. Well it still is.... $500 firm. I haven't had a lot of responses. That's o.k..... I guess I really am not in hurry. To those that I haven't replied to: -Bus runs strong (with a slight problem... I will talk about that in a moment, its the real reason why I posted this)

-I does have surface rust-- but very minor and no holes through the floors (in fact they are cleaner than the exterior)

-The engine is a rebuild... it has a fair amount of miles I think the compression loss is up to about 15% max. No documented history (whaddya expect for $500?)

-Body is straight with very minor dings... interior is pretty clean... could use new floor lining. The middle bench seat is pretty beat up though.

The problem that I just begun to experience is the reason why I posted this note now.... and it is something some of you who interested in the bus should know about. In essence the problem is this: with the muffler attached to the cat. converter, the engine will begin to smoke heavily about 5 minutes after start up and last until about 10 minutes after start up (about the time it takes the cat. converter to heat up). With the muffler off the problem doesn't exist. Furthermore, as one increases the rpm the smoke will dwindle. I would like to fix the problem, cause I enjoy tinkering. I would guess it would have to do with the PCV valve incorrectly passing blow by into the intake. There are a couple of reasons I think it is this:

1) The problem began suddenly... bad rings or valve guides would happen more slowly? right?

2) The fact that the smoke happens when the muffler is attached tells me that the back pressure is forcing the blow-by build up (I know this doesn't make much sense ... maybe I shouldn' t say "force".... but I am still foggy about the problem)

3) e xcessive crankcase pressure is causing some oil to bubble out the oil fill an dipstick area.

Anyone with ideas on tracking down the PCV valve and/or tracing the problem?

David Baker '56 All-Stock Double Door Panel dabaker@nas.nasa.gov '76 Station Wagon

P.S.: I live on the West Coast... in the San Francisco Bay Area.