Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Apr 1996 17:00:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      Re: Whoa there, Buck! - - Bus Thread...

After hiking from Hwy 50 to Hwy 49 on the Tahoe Yosemite Trail sometime in the 70s (!!!?) my friend and I began to hitch from near Lake Alpine on our long journey back to Skylonda in the hills behind Woodside. We didn't stand around long when a guy in a white Westfalia stopped to give us a ride. Apparently he'd just bought the thing in Markleevlle, or some small town on the east side of the Sierra, and was driving it home to Angels Camp.

We were cruising along about 50 mph or so when a doe leapt in front of us and darted across the road. She was about 100' or so ahead. The driver noticed a six-point buck standing by the side of the road and began to slow down, but not enough. The buck leapt onto the road and we slammed into him going about 30 or 35 mph or so. He bounced to the side of the road and we went into a horrorific skid. It was all the driver could do to stay on the road.

When we hit the buck the nose collapsed into the emergency brake and engaged it "to the max". The guy was nearly in tears, his immaculate and new bus crashed in the first hour he owned it. We kicked out the nose, disengaged the brake, and drove away. He was very bitter when he dropped us off, saying he never should have picked us up. WE felt for him, but hey, what could we do?

Jeffrey Olson Seattle, Washington, where spring is finally arriving...