Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Apr 1996 20:31:40 -0700
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      '70 Clutch Cable Clevis Pin failed!

Aha! RMMW advises us to buy a complete kit for $29/30 rather than just the clutch cable for $6.25... well guess what? My '70's 'broken clutch cable', when I finally got down into it to fix it, turned out to have been a broken clevis pin ($2.25 separately) and grotesquely worn lever arm ($ 15.75)- can you say Total Lubrication Failure? The hole that the clevis pin goes through was elongated to a length of over twice its original diameter- it was near to worn through when the pin itself failed.

The cable itself appears to be in fine shape.

So tomorrow morning I'll order a new arm and clevis pin. And a spare clevis pin because the arm could be reversed, two nuts used in place of the wing nut, but without the clevis pin, life would be ugly. A bolt-and-nut would wear both the lever and the end of the clutch cable, and you've have to have 'em with you in the first place.

I suppose I could be really conservative and replace the tube at the back and get a new wing nut for a spare, eg get a complete kit now. I think I'll leave the tube for the time being, as a study, but definately pickup a wing-nut from pick-and-pull next time I'm there.

For those making a long trip, if you can't remember whether you've lubricated the clutch cable clevis pin, take the 10 minutes to get in there and check it, the throttle cable, parking brake cables and master-cylinder.

And don't forget the the little plastic nipple back at the tranny end that keeps dust out of the clutch cable tube. I suspect there should be one of those at each end of the rigid tube, actually... Hmm. we'll see how ambitious I get. take it all apart, swab-out the tube clean and lube the cable and re-install with dust nipples at both ends? Do I HAVE to?? :(

Might just.

Happy Motoring! Bill